temp gauge sudden rise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-08-10 Thread Starter
County: Fife
temp gauge sudden rise

Hi all, drove my 04 plate 156 veloce selespeed yesterday for first time . . . . .brilliant, but concerned when after 40 minutes motorway driving with temp at 90 was in town traffic for 15 minutes and the gauge went up to 135. Is this a common problem ? Cant afford this kind of problem as regularly stuck in traffic. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

Check that the fan speed increases after about 95c, if it doesn't then the resistor is kaput. This can be cheaply worked around by connecting the two wires together with a large 30 amp fuse. The resistor is found on the fan mounting.
It is also quite likely caused by a knackered radiator - they don't last long on the 156. Have a look at the state of the core, if it looks like a party popper has gone off or there are parts missing, there is your problem as it will block the flow of air.
If money is tight, as a temporary measure, you can pressure wash the copper core off to allow airflow through the radiator (you'll need to remove the radiator first) - probably not recommended by many on here, but it kept my Twinny running whilst I was strapped for cash!

Chances are that if your engine has got that hot, it will have killed the thermostat. Does it still get to 90 fairly quickly? If not, you'll need a new one, but at 30 and half an hour to fit yourself, it's a fairly cheap and easy repair.

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 17-08-10 Thread Starter
County: Fife
156 VELOCE sudden temp rise. Many thanks for your input . . .. . I will give it a go and feed it back.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gauge , rise , sudden , temp