Mudflaps on a GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-08-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Mudflaps on a GT

Do a search for the above topic and you'll find mostly negative responses to the idea, but having just fitted a set to mine I'll give you a very good reason why you should consider it too.

Installing them is fairly straightforward - the rears are easier if you remove the wheels, and access to attach the fronts is easy if you turn the steering from lock to lock. However, while putting the front ones on I noticed that the sill extensions of the car are open at the front end and, despite the wheelarch liners hanging in front of the opening, the box section sills are a trap for large quantities of dirt, salt and water. I removed several handfuls of muck from the sills (almost certainly a precursor for rust if not removed) and even used a vacuum cleaner extension to get some of the gravel and stuff that had accumulated in there. With the mudflaps fitted the access for all that crap is closed over.

I advise all GT owners to take a look behind the trailing edge of the front wheelarch liners of their cars and regularly clean out the area. Better still - fit mudflaps!!

Last edited by agent smith; 14-08-10 at 17:49.
Sponsored Links
Any pics?
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 SW Ti

I'd noticed some gaps in the liners you could drive a bus through..Did you get original ones or aftermarket?
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 14-08-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

I will post up some pictures when I get a chance....
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I was just looking on the official Alfa website at the GT front mud flaps.

The 159 I had needed them fitted to try and stop the stone chipping along the flanks. So I was looking to do the same on the GT, especially as it has had a full front and side re-spray to rid itself of 60Ks worth of chips!

Does anyone have photos of the front mud flaps fitted on a GT? Just trying to picture the effect on the car. Mine is a Q2, not sure if the sills are any different?

Any thoughts/photos would be appreciated.

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT