Help! 147 Selespeed problem when engine warm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 14-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin
Help! 147 Selespeed problem when engine warm

Hi All,
Its been a while since I posted on here but was wondering could someone help me out. I have recently acquired a 147 2 ltr selespeed 2001. I bought it with selespeed issues. When the car is cold after been lying for the night, the car works OK. For the first 10 seconds the gearchange is erratic. It starts off in first gear and then goes into second on its own and sometimes then shows up reverse on the dash but stays in second. After about 30 seconds of driving while the car warms up it behaves itself about 75% of the time. But when it is fully warm and stuck in slow moving traffic, the gearchange gets really erattic. Pulling away, when you select first, it goes into first, third, fourth and then finally into second gear and can pull away. It then goes into fourth or fifth gear and the gearchange just does whatever it wants. The problem is a lot worse when it is warm (90 degrees on the dash). If you turn off the car and try to restart it, it wont start for about 5 to 10 minutes but actually stays in neutral assuming you stop in neutral. The pump is working fine and there are no errors on the dash. The gearchange on the dash does not flash and I can hear it selecting gear. The car has 72k on the clock and otherwise works well aside frmo an airbag warning light. The selespeed fluid level is at the max and has tutela in ithowever alfadiag said that the clutch selector pin is at 9mm - 13mm. Would this cause the problem or is there something more serious going on?? There doesnt seem to be any leaks from the selespeed unit itself either and the car has a brand new battery in it as well.
Any help appreciated as the selespeed site doesnt cover this sort of error unfortunately!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , engine , problem , selespeed , warm