GT - intermittent radio problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-08-10 Thread Starter
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GT - intermittent radio problem

I am having a bit of a problem with the radio in my 56 reg GT, the sound keeps disappearing..?? It will only work intermittently, by that I mean it may/or may not work when I start the car or it will just go dead part way through a journey and may/may not come back to life later. But there is power to it at all times and display and functions work even when there is no sound. Alfa dealer checked all the connections and found no fault so I had an independent look at the radio unit who said couldn't find anything wrong...?? Anyone any ideas as to why the sound just keeps going off??
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
At the risk of stating the obvious I'd say it's a faulty head unit. A dodgy connection to one speaker is a possibility but not all at the same time, only common point is the head unit.

I suppose there *could* be a short or dodgy connection on the mute wire, pin 2 on the A connector. Do you feel confident enough to remove the pin and give it a try? Make sure you tape the bare end of the pin to insulate it before putting it back together?

All the best

AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

147 1.6 lusso

Remove the head unit (do a search) remove ALL the the multi plugs and make sure all the metal multi plug connectors are "in line" then make sure all the pins on the head unit are "in line" and not bent. Also make sure there are no unused bare wires that need taping up. If all that is good i would suggest a dodgy head unit or a very slight possibility of a short somewhere.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 156

Same on mine - few weeks ago cd was fine radio sound dropping issues - changed aerial base on roof and cured

What was odd new base only had one wire to head unit orig had two assume one was power for amplification

So new one not amplified but cured prob so happy days

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

intermittent , problem , radio