Turbo cooling down time? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

2002 156 2.4 JTD

Turbo cooling down time?

I have read on a couple of posts on here about leaving the engine running for a couple of minutes before turning it off to allow the turbo to cool. Is this really necessary? And if so, is it worth fitting one of those delay timer thingies so I don't have to sit in the car looking like a bit of a berk waiting for it to cool down? Has anyone fitted one these and if so have you any advice?

I plan to keep my 2.4 JTD 156 for a good few years, so want to do all I can to extend it's life!
(Its going to take me a while to save up for a 159! )

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex
I had one on an impreza once. Always felt a bit silly walking away with the car locked, alarmed but engine running. People used to walk up and ask if I knew my engine was still running! Whether you need one is debatable. You only really need to let the engine run for a min or so if you have been caning it! No need if its been run gently, like around town. Its not so much to let it cool down as make sure it stops spinning before you kill the engine and therefore stop the oil supply! Some turbos spin in excess of 100,000 rpms so take a while to spool down.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
I don't think it is a much of a problem with diesel cars as the turbo runs much cooler.

It is down to the turbo being left spinning in stationary oil after the engine is turned off. This can lead to the oil getting hot and carbonising in the bearing which then would cause a lubrication failure when the engine was started again.

I cannot see letting the engine tick over for a few seconds before switching off doing any harm though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cooling , time , turbo