Smokey 156 2.4 Jtd? Check your air box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 02-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

Smokey 156 2.4 Jtd? Check your air box

The well known issue of rusty bolts/screws in the airbox can mean that the airfilter does not get changed at service time. This was certainly the case with my car and it was down on power which seemed to get better with a good ragging.

However it never seemed quite right as it was responsive at part throttle but felt strangled and kicked out black smoke when giving it some beans.

Knowing I had this problem with the air box I decided to have a play with using a cone filter, basically i just removed the top of the air box (read ripped it off!!) and in its place I now have a generic ebay special cone filter on the end of the air mass meter. The metal lip of the air filter is sitting on the edge of the air box hole so that the cone sits inside and it is supported by some strategic cable ties. I could do with manufacturing some sort of support for it but at the moment it is doing a job.

The result: A car that does not smoke, pulls much better and performs like a Jtd should. In fact it would not suprise me if it performs better as the standard filter is a real air blocker in my opinion.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , air , box , check , jtd , smokey