Gearbox problem (manual) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Gearbox problem (manual)

It happened once before, couple of months ago, and I ignored it thinking it was a one off. But today, I've had difficulty getting 4th and sometimes 3rd gear. Normally it's changing from 3rd to 4th, then when it physically won't go into 4th I try for 3rd again and it's either very stiff or won't go. The others are usually ok.

After a bit of selecting other gears, 4th usually 'comes back', although stiff. I know the clutch is ok (no slipping, bite is fine, other gears are normal), so what could it be? Linkage? Clearly this sort of thing isn't going to go away, and it seems like it's got worse.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

Re: Gearbox problem (manual)

Sounds like a similar problem I had a few months after I had taken delivery of my car. It wouldn't engage 4th every now and then, but others worked fine. I took the car into service and they'd fixed it quickly.

I'm not sure exactly what was wrong, but they told me that they'd adjusted the linkage. It has never happened again since.
AO Member

Depending on the mileage of your car/engine, I would say that 99% chances are the syncronizer rings thats giving problem. Its well known that the rings for 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th gear (of 156 & 147 gearbox) could be worn as early as 20,000km.

The culprit could be due to the copper material of the ring itself, and/or the spec and quality of gear oil used, e.g. 90wt oil. Best to go with high grade synthetic 75W-80 or 75W-90 gear oil, make sure its "syncromesh gearbox" compatible.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Get the garage to check the gear selector linkage first.

It might just need adjustment or perhap a bush or something is worn in it - it is a long distance from the gear lever to the gearbox after all.

Well my car was taken to the dealer in Basingstoke today. I say taken, because they don't give loan cars to under 21's

Anyway it's in to have the steering checked out (loose upper uni-joint) but I mentioned the gearbox problem and he said they'll check it out at the same time.

Fingers crossed...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gearbox , manual , problem