Changing the connect nav+ for ... something else! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-07-10 Thread Starter
County: Bedfordshire
Help Changing the connect nav+ for ... something else!

Hi all,
My first post here so hello! I have just bought an alfa 147 51 plate. it has the connect nav+ system sitted and I would like to change it at some point in the near future for something a little more up to date.

I have been looking on ebay and have found a few that interest me, but I was wondering if anyone has information regaring the wiring behind the connect nav+, this is obviously so I can get one that will be compatible.

This is the kind of thing I was looking at and was wondering if anyone could say if this would be compatible.

Also if anyone has any details, pictures or documentation regarding the wiring in the car this would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Can't be sure as I have Connect Nav+ in a Fiat, my unit is a 2003 full colour unit. The back on my unit has standard Din stereo plugs one for power and one for speaker outputs. It then has two connections for the two GPS receivers, then another multiplug for steering wheel controls, aother for gala signal cable for road speed volume leveling and a final multiplug for body computer control (In Stilos, the stero is the interface for things like clock adjustment etc.) Also my unit is a little smaller than double DIN, so would need a new cage as well as a new fascia adaptor.

Before replacing it with an E-Bay unit, try having a chat to a proper stereo shop. The killer with aftermarket units like the one you've linked to are that they just don't look right in the car. They tend to stick out of the dash, or look just wrong. If the car needs new GPS antenna, where would they be fitted? On mine they are in the base of the aerial.
the unit you're looking at is a complete stand alone head unit, the only thing you'll need from the cars original wiring is power and speaker connections.

you wont use the cars original gps antenae or sat nav system at all, the unit comes with its own which i suspect would have to be the one used.

so long as you've got double din size hole to fit it in?, that unit will fit and work, if used with all it own gubbins, but as mentioned above, they are often not a perfect fit, and this is because they are originally built for the japanese domestic and american market which have a slightly different style of bolting into a dash chassis rather than sliding into a captive cage like us europeans. This often leaves it slightly proud, and does not come with a finishing surround that will adequately cloak it, so you can sometime be left with an unsightly gap, but sometimes you can modify something or improve what it comes with to make good enough.

how well it works is an unknown i suspect, although ive had similar multi media devices in many of the jap imports ive done in the past, and although not Alpine quality, they do what it says on the tin quite respectably usually.

Last edited by PETR0LHEAD; 30-07-10 at 22:38.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

changing , connect , nav