Is that a taxi?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

2002 156 2.4 JTD

Is that a taxi??

I love my new 2002 156 2.4 JTD! It's pretty, it's comfy, goes and handles brilliantly!!

It is noisy though, particularly at start up. Are they all like this? It sounds like a London taxi, which goes against it's slick lines!
I had cam belt, waterpump etc done a couple of weeks ago, and an oil and filter change.

Is there anything I should be checking or anything I can do to make it quieter, or is it just a case of turning the stereo up?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Just turn the stereo up on idle, and enjoy the torque
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
Is there anything I should be checking or anything I can do to make it quieter, or is it just a case of turning the stereo up?
It is a Diesel, so it will always sound like a Taxi...
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

147 1.6 lusso

Sorry to hijack but why do diesels sound so bad??? is it becuse diesel has different ignition charatistics to petrol??
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Petrol engines rely on the spark plug to ignite the compressed fuel and air mixture in the cylinder which is drawn in together through the inlet manifold. Petrol is highly flammable and combusts easily.

A diesel engine draws the air only into the cylinder and compresses the air above the piston which creates heat. The fuel is then injected directly into the cylinder or pre combustion chamber and the heat ignites the fuel.
There are several different cylinder head types but basically low compression diesels need heaters to help start when cold. Higher compression diesels should create enough compression heat to start.
Both will have trouble starting if compression has been lost or reduced with mileage, also if one or more heater plugs are not working.

Because the engine is cold, combustion is not complete which causes the knock (or taxi effect on start up). Diesel is not so flammable so relies on heat and atomisation (injector spray mist) to combust. If the injectors are not atomising correctly, the combustion will not be complete causing knock and smoke.

Diesel also combusts over the piston in a different way which creates a different diesel engine sound.

Hope that’s not too technical.

Last edited by Filbyman; 31-07-10 at 22:48.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT