JTD/JTDM MCSF & other problems FIX - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

fletch106

P.S. This is what you're fiddling with ....

Fletch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo VNT rod.jpg (30.6 KB, 85 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
fletch106, nice diagnosis, the MCSF should not come up again. So was the bolt loose and you had to adjust it? I do not understand why solenoid is controlled to get to that position, It must be the reason?
AO Member

Garage
Not good.
This rod is for factory turbo calibration... you touch it and the calibration is gone.
You maybe now have good boost at low power, but at WOT you will get boost fluctuation.
This issue should be fixed in ECU not on calibration rod.

fletch106

You may be right, but FES shows appropriate levels of boost from 1500rpm to 4500rpm. No engine light, and I can enjoy the car again. As long as it works. Anyway, the car has done 145000miles and may need a new turbo in the not too distant future. Besides, the turbo was calibrated an awful long time and a lot of wear ago. I'm not surprised it needs adjusting (only by 1-2mm or so).

Fletch

fletch106

PS if its for 'factory only', why is the rod not crimped or welded, rather than being fitted with a very handy thumb screw!!

Fletch

fletch106

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Brera 3.6

hi, i get p1191 when scanning with FES- "P1191 - Fuel pressure

The Fuel Pressure Switch/Sensor circuit is defective. Check the associated wiring and connectors for opens, shorts and weak connections, and the switch itself.
Bosch Peugeot-Citroen systems: typical resistance is in the 2.3 Ohm range
The reason for this fault is that ECU has received very high signal from the sensor. The fault is not detected now, but it is stored in memory. Clear fault codes, and observe for future appearance of the same fault. Dashboard warning light was activated for this fault."

What i have done so far:

-Swopped out rail pressure sensor
-checked fuel return
-swopped out fuel pressure regulating valve on the high pressure fuel pump
-replaced diesel filter
-serviced the whole car
-checked sensor wiring
-cleaned map
-checked map wiring
-new egr

What happens is as im driving along and decide to boot it it will accelerate and the mcsf light will come on and limp mode eventually kicks in, it seems to go away in cold weather at night but at day especially if i traveled on the highway a while it kicks in almost instantly if it boot the throttle too hard to its liking, i have also notice when someone drives behind me at night that there is a considerable amount of smoke coming out but at day i cant see it and i have very poor fuel consumption also even though the computer indicates otherwise

can someone please help me i dont know what to do anymore

Alfa Romeo- Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things

Last edited by BenzinaBrera; 30-07-12 at 16:16.

County: West Lothian

Member car:

1.9 Diesel GT

1.9gt jtdm

Jesus guys...you're scaring me!! I've just bought my first Alfa, a GT 1.9 JTDM (2006). I think I need to get the EGR and MAF checked and/or replaced (still under 3 months warranty). It's just started the 'loosing power under 2000rpm' bit today but that was just after the petrol level indicator went to zero and then up to 1/2 tank then back to zero again (yes there is 1/2 tank of pertol in it!). I've already had the airbag light on and off scenario.
I hope I haven't bought a pig in a poke!!
Neej!!

County: West Lothian

Member car:

1.9 Diesel GT

1.9 gt jtdm

Neej again....just read more bits! Looks like I've got the classic MAF problem then....petrol gaage bouncing up and down. Maybe work my charm on the dealer and get this changed under warranty!!
Neej!!
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I have a query regarding the MAF, here it's claimed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by losa View Post

No power (no throtle response) below 2000rpm ... could be defective MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor (try disconecting the el. connector from MAF and do a test drive, if engine performance is restored with MAF disconected replace faulty MAF with new one http://i34.tinypic.com/1idefc.jpg )
However on another thread this is said:

"doesnt work with diesel ..........petrols yes ,clean your MAP out not your MAF was your egr clogged up ?" http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...10975-egr.html

Well, can a defective MAF cause power issues, and will disconnecting it prove it's faulty?
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by losparx View Post
I have a query regarding the MAF, here it's claimed:

However on another thread this is said:

"doesnt work with diesel ..........petrols yes ,clean your MAP out not your MAF was your egr clogged up ?" http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...10975-egr.html

Well, can a defective MAF cause power issues, and will disconnecting it prove it's faulty?
could be egr ......disconnecting maf can do nowt as ecu could have learnt poor values
i would clean out egr and MAP on back of inlet manifold first
AO Member

losparx, you can open hose above MAF and check if it is clean, if it is like new, then MAF is 99% good. When I was having such problems, disconnecting MAF did not make any difference.
In such things I would check and clean MAP,EGR, small hoses at turbo and valve controling it, also do not forget to check errors in ECU. Check at page1 for details.

County: Western Australia

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD

Thanks for the info guys made a problem I had easy to find and fix. My 147 is now fun to drive again. Keep up the great work.

County: Hunedoara
Help Strange fault code

When I had made a little diagnose on my Alfa Romeo 156 SW ,1.9jtd ,16v ,103kW I seen strange fault code-P0A00 which mean "Motor Electronics Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit".Somebody help me with an advice:which part need be replaced ?Thermostat temperature sensor or another part ? When thermostat temperature sensor "died" I will see erroneous value of temperature on temperature indicator?
Thanks in advance!...and excuse my english
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
I had a GT 1.9jtd, which got the airflow prob, so bought a Airflow sensor, which cured the prob, but the fault code always came back, think it was 1128, so although it was a reputable make, I then bought a Bosch original which matches the Bosch electronics and all was well again, so my advice is to buy the Bosch if you do dec ide it needs one, i got mine for far less than the alfa dealer or independents will quote from a company called Airflow Sensors, so maybe check em out.
Hope this helps. I now have a petrol Brera, but still dig the GT.
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Alfa-less

Mis-post - please remove!

County: Oost-Vlaanderen
hi guys, i want to share because i fixed my car in a way i haven't seen come up here yet:

i've had several MCSF and less-than-optimal running in the 4 years i've owned my 156 1.9 JTD 16V 140hp (220.000kms), lately a P1235 continuously on (which didn't alter the running apparently), and another boost failure when booting it up a hill in 4th, 5th, or 6th (long boost), making me loose the boost (ignition on/off and voila, boost is back).

after my mech changed the clutch a couple of weeks ago, i lost all power down low all the time and i finally decided to get in there and check everything bit by bit...cleaning EGR, MAP, MAF... I even did the Mr Muscle turbo clean (but the vanes were free anyway).
Anyway, actuator still wasn't moving...i wasn't getting vacuum to the turbo...checked the lines, all seemed OK, checked further, didn't even get vacuum to the VNT...checked the lines, all seemed OK, traced it back to the vacuum reservoir...no vacuum there either! a-ha.
I started tracing the lines going to the reservoir, and i found a cracked little hose at the first T-junction coming from the vacuum pump (right of engine, behind/under the oil filler cap). This hose looked like 10y old (which it probably was). The vacuum reservoir not only supplies the turbo actuator, but also a valve very close to the EGR and the big top turbo pipe, so that's working now too i guess.

Just went for a little drive, and all power is restored (wholy cow, goes like stink now), permanent MCSF went away, and even when booting in 4th for 10 seconds or more (on my private track of course), no more boost failure. All is well. finally.

so in short: do not only change the 3 little hoses in the front, but check the vacuum reservoir also if you still have issues. You'll have bleeding knuckles but it's doable to change all the lines there as well.

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD 16v 140hp lack of acceleration, low power

Hi guys, I own Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD 16v 140hp and it has a lack of acceleration for about 2 months. On this forum i read the symptoms of MCSF problem, tried with everything (cleaning the EGR, checking the vacuum etc) and it appeared that it is the MAF sensor (I made a test drive with the MAF sensor cable unpluged, and the power got back, but when i get the cable back on it's place, the engine lost the power again ...). So my question is: Can I drive the car with the cable unpluged for about 300km, because tomorrow I have to go to other town and there is no new MAF sensor in the town where I live (I have to wait 2 work days to get it)?

County: Lancashire
Hi,
I have got this error a few days ago and going to get that pipe replaced this week.
being fairly old car I cant afford to take this to AR dealer so a private garage would do the job for me therefore I am just wondering that ECU light will go off itself once the pipe is replaced or do i have to get something done additionally to get rid of that light in dash.
Please help.

County: Lancashire
I meant this as below for my earlier message...

Symptom
-> Possible problem

Black smoke on exhaust & loss of power (possible MCSF error)
-> usually split Turbo-Intercooler hose, or Intercooler-IntakeManifold hose, or cracked Intercooler, that causes losss of air pressure from turbo, and surplus of injected fuel is unburned and turns to black smoke (check the hoses http://i32.tinypic.com/2v3rbqv.jpg and replace the cracked one http://i55.tinypic.com/2qs58yf.jpg)
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Clean your map sensor never assume a fault code error unless you have read code off ecu
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Great post. No speculation; just facts and details. My VGT hose was split identically to the picture in the 1st post. I wouldn't have diagnosed this without the experience of forum members. Thank you Iosa.

County: Durham

Member car:

GT

Glow plug error GT 1.9 JTDM

Hi everyone, I have a dreaded glow plug error on my dash that I cannot seem to shift. Searched the forum and tried pretty much everything.....I think??

1) Replaced all glow plugs
2) Replaced glow plug unit
3) Replaced battery
4) Completed miracle reset
5) Cried over the money spent and problem still there!

Can anyone help me please
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
Hi everyone, I have a dreaded glow plug error on my dash that I cannot seem to shift. Searched the forum and tried pretty much everything.....I think??

1) Replaced all glow plugs
2) Replaced glow plug unit
3) Replaced battery
4) Completed miracle reset
5) Cried over the money spent and problem still there!

Can anyone help me please
you do know the glow plug symbol is meant to come on each time you start the car?

County: Durham

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
you do know the glow plug symbol is meant to come on each time you start the car?
Yes its not the symbol in the rev counter part its in the box in the middle and says check glow plugs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
fix , jtd or jtdm , mcsf , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page