JTD/JTDM MCSF & other problems FIX - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

fletch106

Hi all,
I've carefully lubed my VGT actuator rod, and have found that, despite spanking it, no P0238 error. Clearly I need to pop Fiat ECUScan on to check, but am hopeful. Has anyone had success with this - any favourite lubes? Copperslip grease? It is very hot down there...
Fletch

PS The text is not intended to sound smutty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Well it does, but I like it!
AO Member

County: Durham
Just posted on another thread just now, this could help anyone If you running K&N or sim air filter, the oil of them contaminates the MAF as it is very near box, I got the air flowing better into it, clean the MAF and new lease of life, trust me. It wont throw any fault codes up, My mate at Big Fish Tuning said the maf was showing signs of low res, I only found out by chance about the contam off perf air filters.
DO NOT copy the ars* holes on youtube and use carb cleaner, its too caustic and MAF cleaner IS carb cleaner dressed in diff labeling (asprin and anadin spring to mind, Doh!) use elec contact cleaner or similer, alcohol based cleaner sprays.
(just be gentle they are delicate, dont even think about touching/poking anything past the mesh)
the metal clips on tubes do click back together fine reuse.
spray loads in , but leave to dry (left mine an hour to be safe) if your not running a performance filter ,
then I just wasted 5mins

AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch106 View Post
Hi all,
I've carefully lubed my VGT actuator rod, and have found that, despite spanking it, no P0238 error. Clearly I need to pop Fiat ECUScan on to check, but am hopeful. Has anyone had success with this - any favourite lubes? Copperslip grease? It is very hot down there...
Fletch

PS The text is not intended to sound smutty
Did youb manage to get this sorted as my car is reading the same fault?? I am driving a GT 1.9Jtdm 56, the reading on a friends diagnostics tells me it is either the map or the boost pressure sensor, so will replace the latter,if that dont work then will do the map.

County: -

Member car:

GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by losa View Post
Look on page 1.
Might be:
- jammed VGT mechanism inside turbo (but looks like you have excluded it)
- faulty Pierburg VGT selenoid (try cleanign it: Elektrozawór VGT (overboost) - operation manual)
- blocked MAP sensor on intake manifold (try cleaning it: Astra H: 1.9 CDTi: HOW TO: Clean your MAP Sensor - Astra Owners Network Forum | MK1 - MK6 | VXR | T8 | T9 | Zafira | Astra Van)
Afternoon all. Over the weekend I had my first and second MCSF issues on a long motorway run.

At fairly high speed the error came up and the AA came and diagnosed a turbo boost pressure sensor problem, which he removed and found full of carbon gunk, cleaned, problem solved. Then 3 days later on the drive back, again when I reached high speed, the same problem, different AA man diagnosed the same sensor. But he said he would call the sensor that was cleaned the inlet manifold pressure sensor, and it did look like the MAP sensor linked to above (Vauxhall version). Once he cleaned it, warning light went off and car was fine again. I'm guessing the EGR valve is causing this as there is also some hesitation when accelerating at low vehicle speed.

So I have 2 questions, are the MAP sensor and the turbo boost pressure sensor the same thing? And am I right in thinking the EGR valve must be pretty filthy to cause this issue twice in 4 days? The second time the sensor didn't look too dirty but there was still some carbon in there to get rid of.

Many thanks in advance. I've only been an Alfa owner for 6 weeks so pretty new to this.
(Post Link) post #81 of 155 Old 06-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeefunit View Post
Afternoon all. Over the weekend I had my first and second MCSF issues on a long motorway run.

At fairly high speed the error came up and the AA came and diagnosed a turbo boost pressure sensor problem, which he removed and found full of carbon gunk, cleaned, problem solved. Then 3 days later on the drive back, again when I reached high speed, the same problem, different AA man diagnosed the same sensor. But he said he would call the sensor that was cleaned the inlet manifold pressure sensor, and it did look like the MAP sensor linked to above (Vauxhall version). Once he cleaned it, warning light went off and car was fine again. I'm guessing the EGR valve is causing this as there is also some hesitation when accelerating at low vehicle speed.

So I have 2 questions, are the MAP sensor and the turbo boost pressure sensor the same thing? And am I right in thinking the EGR valve must be pretty filthy to cause this issue twice in 4 days? The second time the sensor didn't look too dirty but there was still some carbon in there to get rid of.

Many thanks in advance. I've only been an Alfa owner for 6 weeks so pretty new to this.
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) is what you call "boost pressure sensor", it records boost pressure and air temperature in intake manifold.

My gues why you get MCSF is "P0238 - Turbo charger boost circuit, input high." recorded by MAP.
And that could be because of reasons you qouted:
- jammed VGT mechanism inside turbo
- faulty Pierburg VGT selenoid
- blocked MAP sensor on intake manifold (that's excluced now as you have cleaned it and error comes back)

You can clear the errors and MCSF, but it will come back again as soon as MAP records abnormal value again.
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) is what you call "boost pressure sensor", it records boost pressure and air temperature in intake manifold.

My gues why you get MCSF is "P0238 - Turbo charger boost circuit, input high." recorded by MAP.
- blocked MAP sensor on intake manifold (that's excluced now as you have cleaned it and error comes back)

You can clear the errors and MCSF, but it will come back again as soon as MAP records abnormal value again.

I also have the same problem , replaced the boost pressure sensor , the the light has not come back on it still seems to be misfiring at high speeds and also in hesitant when accelerating at low speeds
(Post Link) post #83 of 155 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspawn View Post
I also have the same problem , replaced the boost pressure sensor , the the light has not come back on it still seems to be misfiring at high speeds and also in hesitant when accelerating at low speeds
By description your problem is completely diferent than skeefunit's...

Member car:

GT JTDm

Quote:

Thanks losa. Is there a handy diagram anywhere showing where all these components are?
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspawn View Post
i think you may have holes or splits in your small bore pipe work to turbo actuator ,that pipe that goes to boost solenoid control valve

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Astra Van

147 1.9 8v loss of power

Hi,

My 147 1.9 Lusso 8v loss power (it is just dead flat no pull and lots of smoke) after standing for 7 months, upon releasing the bottom intercooler pipe a flood of black oil fell on the floor. I came to the conclusion turbo had gone so replaced turbo (the old one the blades inside where well worn) I also flushed the intercooler with degreaser and then hot soapy water. But still the car feels dead but just with out the smoke. In neutral with my foot hard against the floor it even revs lazy, surely this would not be a cracked intercooler? as the car is not under load?

Any help will be very appreciated
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcars79 View Post
Hi,

My 147 1.9 Lusso 8v loss power (it is just dead flat no pull and lots of smoke) after standing for 7 months, upon releasing the bottom intercooler pipe a flood of black oil fell on the floor. I came to the conclusion turbo had gone so replaced turbo (the old one the blades inside where well worn) I also flushed the intercooler with degreaser and then hot soapy water. But still the car feels dead but just with out the smoke. In neutral with my foot hard against the floor it even revs lazy, surely this would not be a cracked intercooler? as the car is not under load?

Any help will be very appreciated
take no hissing noises from holed pipes ? but
take map sensor off and clean with carb choke cleaner or plus gas also remove egr valve and give that a clean ,then if all fails looks like a maf sensor needed but you need your codes read

Member car:

Astra Van

Hi.

Further to my earlier posts >>

I have read the codes and there is nothing to report, i removed MAF plug and this made no diff other than throwing up a fault. I removed a sensor on back of intake manifold next to EGR and it had like a a black oily tar stuck to it, I then put a screw driver end inside the manifold and it seems this tar like stuff is in abundent in there. I hear it takes around 5 hr to remove the intake manifold so wondered if any one else has experienced this and has a soloution?

Many thanks in advance...
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Hi.

Further to my earlier posts >>

I have read the codes and there is nothing to report, i removed MAF plug and this made no diff other than throwing up a fault. I removed a sensor on back of intake manifold next to EGR and it had like a a black oily tar stuck to it, I then put a screw driver end inside the manifold and it seems this tar like stuff is in abundent in there. I hear it takes around 5 hr to remove the intake manifold so wondered if any one else has experienced this and has a soloution?

Many thanks in advance...
sensor on back of intake is MAP CLEAN THAT OUT WITH PLUS GAS OR CARB CLEANER oops cap lock,how bad is oily gunge ,is it enough to block or is it surface
take egr of and clean that as well
as for your maf it makes a diesel worse or same if its shot if ya understand me ,dont improve disconnecting not like petrols
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Hi All.....
New to the world of Alfa Diesels...
Have just taken delivery of a 147 1.9 jtd 16v and I am having a little issue, it seems to be smoking a bit, mostly when idling and then on initial pull away, but there seems to be plenty of power through the rev range! Having read my way through this thread, I am thinking one of two places to start either EGR or turbo hoses.....
Can anyone shed some light on the subject....
Thanks in advance....
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude27uk View Post
Hi All.....
New to the world of Alfa Diesels...
Have just taken delivery of a 147 1.9 jtd 16v and I am having a little issue, it seems to be smoking a bit, mostly when idling and then on initial pull away, but there seems to be plenty of power through the rev range! Having read my way through this thread, I am thinking one of two places to start either EGR or turbo hoses.....
Can anyone shed some light on the subject....
Thanks in advance....
you buy from trader dealer or private ?

Member car:

Astra Van

When I disconnected the maf it made no difference lol. but what i have noticed is that when my mate revs car the bottom intercooler pipe sucks in and collapse? obviously when the turbo spins the pipe should expand, i took the pipe off the actuator and ther is no sucking coming from it

I am really starting to give up hope

Member car:

Astra Van

o forgot to say i have cleaned out the map, egr and what i can from the inlet (bit scared if i clean to much some will fall in engine and compress.

Many thanks for all the advise so far
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
when i disconnected the maf it made no difference lol. But what i have noticed is that when my mate revs car the bottom intercooler pipe sucks in and collapse? Obviously when the turbo spins the pipe should expand, i took the pipe off the actuator and ther is no sucking coming from it

I am really starting to give up hope
sound like you got serious blockage there

THERE BE NO SUCKING ON ACTUATOR PIPE OOPS CAP lock on lol

so bottom hose is collapsing that points to a blocked turbo ..... have you taken inlet pipe off thats plastic loop to air filter to check its not air filter or inlet pipe under wing blocked ?

Last edited by davealfa11; 19-10-11 at 14:51.

Member car:

Astra Van

the car has had a new air filter. I disconnected top intercooler pipe and reved the engine, i can feel air being blown although it not massive amounts.
With all pipes connected i pushed the rod going into actuator down and got me mate to rev car and i could feel the top intercooler pipe swell up as i think it should (also could turbo spooling up where as cant otherwise). Is there away of bypassing the turbo actuator so the turbo run full boost? i think that the pipe on the actuator should suck? and thus allowing turbo pressure in inlet side?

Thanks for your help so far
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
the car has had a new air filter. I disconnected top intercooler pipe and reved the engine, i can feel air being blown although it not massive amounts.
With all pipes connected i pushed the rod going into actuator down and got me mate to rev car and i could feel the top intercooler pipe swell up as i think it should (also could turbo spooling up where as cant otherwise). Is there away of bypassing the turbo actuator so the turbo run full boost? i think that the pipe on the actuator should suck? and thus allowing turbo pressure in inlet side?

Thanks for your help so far
no vac on desiels its pressure thats in them pipes

can you hear turbo spooling up ?

Member car:

Astra Van

i can only hear it spool if i hold the actuator rod down with my hand from top of bonnet and my friend revs engine.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
i can only hear it spool if i hold the actuator rod down with my hand from top of bonnet and my friend revs engine.
think you got turbo problem
(Post Link) post #99 of 155 Old 19-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
From what you have wrote, I'd say:
- either there is vacuum leak (check all vacuum hoses, from turbo to Pireburg valve, from valve to vacuum reservoir...)
- either Pierburg valve does not work (check if there is vacuum suction on hose that comes from vacuum reservoir)

Member car:

Astra Van

Hi, there is no vacuum coming from the pipe. Is the vacuum reservoir the black box on the back of engine? if it is how do you get it off and where does it get its main feed from? if i could tap into this feed i could connect that to the actuator to test it?

Thanks ....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
fix , jtd or jtdm , mcsf , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page