Car remapping - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Car remapping

Originally Posted by Paulo Mendes
I think it should be on this page, but not english:-
AO Member

Agree wit wat Dupes said...

well... i went the way of the darkside..

rushed down to KL Malaysia for the remap by Jano (i think tats his name..) was asked by him whether i want the "sporty programme" or the "SUPER sporty programme" for the 147 GTA - but the catch is tat for the "SUPER" = it will set u back more....!

wld be great if i had more time then to quiz him on all things AR... but well. After the remap, the car runs much smoother with absolutely NO "drag" especially in the 1st & 2nd gears. The throttle response is also very sharp!! one light tap and it goes...

engine idle RPM has been lowered too - REGARDLESS of aircon being turned on or off!!

heh... (forgive me as im being a bit proud here ) he also told me tat the "super sporty" remap was developed weeks before and no one else has it... YET... and furthermore the programme was derived from the race tuned 147GTAs tat participated in the South African race of some sort...

anyways, im quite pleased wit the result and of cos i believe that the ECU remap wld be much more enhanced and complete wit a freer flow intake and exhaust system... + aftermarket cams of cos - but i cant afford it!!

oh ya, the car on cold start is much more proper now... i.e: BEFORE REMAP: when sometimes ur frens are gawking at ur car and ure asked to start the engine - it jus cranks and cranks then ignite and imediately idles... tats it... DISAPPOINTING & embarrassing cos it sounds like a Toyota engine... not even a hint tat its a V6 3.2 monster...

AFTER REMAP: turn the ignition and immediately: VRROOOMM...!! then settles down to idle nicely no more holding the ignition for a few seconds and listening to the engine crank and crank...

now waiting for me SS exhaust & centre box! heh... and carbon fibre intake pipe... heh.. and upgraded rotors!
AO Member

Hi, ithink remapping is a total waste of money,theses people who
remap cars,fail to tell the punter that there is alot of other things have to be upgraded,ie clutches,to say the least,i think alot of them live a fantasy world,with quotes of megga horse power,kevin
AO Member

Member car:

Hi friends. I'd like to chime in and this only my humble opinion.

I personaly don't recommend a remap. As others have said, to get more power equals more fuel. The added power won't come from nowhere. To those getting better MPG, it's probably because they've shiffted the torque curve lower in the revs meaning you don't rev it as much.

I am studying mechanics engineering, and most people don't realize that it takes years of research & testing an engine before it's put out on the street. The MFG has to balance between performance vs. fuel economy. They've usually done there best to optimize fuel economy.

In my schools' lab, we dyno tested a 1.6 fiat engine. Just by changing the air filter and a higher voltage ignition coil we got a 7 HP gain. Not much science...

I can only see a noticeable increase on turbo cars, (both diesel & petrol) being that they let the turbo develop more pressure, but how does this effect engine life? Most cars have the same engine block between say a turbo vs. a none turbo. But I can assure that the turbo engine has a different crank, different con rods, pistons among other things.

So I don't think it's a good idea a 20-40 HP increase on an engine that's not desigend to take it.

Just my 2 cents

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , remapping