Updates - I got the skirts off:
At the weekend, I rotary wire brushed all of the bubbling/bad areas under the car, and then used some bilt-hamber deox gel for 48 hours to kill/strip the rust from the affected areas:
Today, the gel was washed off, the areas degreased and then treated with bilt-hamber hydrate 80 which converts any remaining rust and chemically bonds to it and the clean steel:
On the drivers side rear footwell, there were a few small holes where the floor was pierced originally for 'drainage', so these needed to be welded by cutting out to clean metal and then cutting small metal discs and butt welding:
The whole interior will have to come out in due course, and the inner sill/floorpan join treated as I can see rust there too - it seems that the steam/degrease treatments of the body before the dip coat weren't really done properly, because the dip coat hasn't adhered very well at all!
Having this alfa reminds me of British cars in the 70s, lovely design, but just not made terribly well. Still; I love it to bits, and will slowly work through the rustproofing to keep it going for as long as possible! Once all the surface rust has been treated in the wheelarches, the boot floor and sidemembers and inside, I plan on filling every crevice with some bilt-hamber anti corrosion wax (I'm shocked that there's none from the factory!) to help stem the rot too.
I also took the battery and tray out and sorted out the crossgate bellcrank on the gearbox, cleaning out the alloy housing and bushes so that the gear lever is nice and free - it's amazing how much of a difference to driving the car it's made! I clipped lots of wires and plugs back into their correct locations too, it's obvious that some bodge workmanship has been done on this car in the past - but I'm working on bringing it back from the brink.
Next major job will be all the belts, water pump and radiator, before getting the paint back into really nice condition.
I'll keep updating this thread to show my progress..