RUST on my 18mths old 147!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
RUST on my 18mths old 147!!!

I cannot beleive it! I took the car to get valued for a part ex on a gtv today and the dealer asked whether I had dealt with the rust along the leading edge of the roof(around the windscreen). I laughed and thought he was joking and then he got me to see the RUST! About 3 inches of bubbling rust , splitting the metallic paint all along the frame of the windscreen!
The car is 18ths old and there is damage where the rust has appeared and the windscreen has never been changed.

I rang Bishops in Guildford immidiately to check it was uncer warranty and he seemed to not beleive me and he told me to bring it in so they could check it is under warranty still???

Why should it not be? There is nothing that would cause it to not be under warranty? It was autoguarded too from new.

Does anyone know if this will be fixable by alfa and if it is a simple/quick job? Will they have to replace the roof and respray it? Or sand down the rust and reseal it?

The dealer was not interested in the car after that either!

not a good day!

Sponsored Links
Re: RUST on my 18mths old 147!!!

This will almost definitely be sorted under warranty, I think the car has a 5 year paint defect warranty. I thought it was galvanised too?
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 51

I would think it will be covered under warranty. The only reason it wouldnt be is if there was damage done to the paintwork (a large stone chip or scratch for example).
As for a fix, they will probably rub down and respray, I cant see them replacing bit unless it is particularly bad
AO Member
County: Greater London

Its more than likely cos the screen has been changed and the monkey that did it has scratched through the paintwork.
Idiots, sue them!!

A big chip or deep scratch may have been to blame but there is no damage there plus since I owned it the windscreen has not been changed.

The good thing is that the car was the manager's car from Bishops Alfa in Guildford before I bought it from him.

So if the windscreen had been replaced when they had it , it was owned by the garage themselves.

I sure as hell hope they do a good job of blending it in as I do not want it to have any effect on the sale price!

AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

It's a 2002 model 147?
I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of that rust.And like others have said there's usually an extended warranty on corrosion to the car.5 yrs sounds about right.I hope you get it sorted

Yep 2002 3dr Lusso on a 52 plate(september)
I will post some photos tomorrow
I am so not happy!!!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 18mths , rust