156 tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
156 tyres

Mrs. Beard's 156 has been with us for about 4 months now and has increased its mileage by 3,000 and has just passed 75K So far all is going well and I must admit that as a sporting Italian saloon, a Veloce, I'm pretty damned impressed with its refinement. One strange thing is a droning noise that appears every time it slows down to about 20mph which I can only attribute to the tyres.

One of the rear tyres has developed a bulge on the sidewall and as we're shortly to drive to Nice, and back of course, it will have to be replaced so here comes the question:

Has anybody else had this droning noise at 20 with Continentals fitted and does the sound go away with different tyres fitted? Or is somebody going to tell me it's more likely to be a transmission fault?

If I just replace the one tyre, as all have 4 - 5 mm of tread, is this likely to have an adverse affect on the handling?

As a supplementary question, if I fit what I describe as 2nd division tyres, such as Falken or Hankook, is there a noticeable difference over the "1st division" makes such as Continental, Good Year, Bridgestone, Michelin and the like?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

My old 156 had Conti's on it when I first bought it, when they were worn they made a dreaful noise that sounded like the wheel bearing was going. Once I changed the tyres the noise was gone. Also had this with worn Goddyear Eagle F1's. Not sure if it's a 156 'feature'!!!!
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
It's probably wise to change them as a pair .. get the fitters to return the "good" tyre as a spare in ase one of the others gets damaged.

If I was about to drive to Nice and back, I'd fit premium tyres. My 156 handles brilliantly on Dunlop Sport MAXX including a track day at Goodwood. There not cheap at 75 a pop but not much more than some the "2nd division".

PS Change the oil and filter before you go and when is the cambelt due?
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 18-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
It came from Heath Road Garage in Sandbach who have a very good reputation on here. Alfie who runs the place told me he'd serviced it prior to sale, including a cambelt service with all the bits and pieces. I'm going to try and get it down to him for a quick check over before we leave.

Also, it may need one of those bracket things that fit behind the front valance and seem to support an air conditioner pipe.

Thanks for the replies by the way chaps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , tyres