Code control fault 156 2.5L auto 1999 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Auckland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

Code control fault 156 2.5L auto 1999

Hi there Alfisti,

I have a code light on. I took it to the agents who reprogrammed the system and it worked for one day. Took it back again and again worked for one day!!! Now I am having to use the emergency pedal system to start it, and that is a PITA. The car has an after market alarm system which was not causing any trouble earlier on, so I do not think that would be the cause. The battery voltage is OK and everthing else works perfectly.

Is this a known fault? Is there a simple way of disableing the code system so it will start without all this hassle? The agent thinks the after market alarm system may have something to do with it and is going to try and remove that system, but he is not sure if that will have any effect on curing the fault.

All or any help/advice welcome.

Alex Binnie.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

could be attenae problem its not picking up signal from key
The aftermarket system is unlikley to have been connected to the code light so the problem is most likley to reside within the origional system. First port of call would be to check your battery has a healthy voltage and then move on to checking all the electrical connections. Removing the immo from the ecu shouldnt cause to much of a problem although it will have an adverse affect on your insurance if you do.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 164QV

Thanks guys for your help. I changed the battery (12V) in the after market alarm fob. The old one was 11.68V and the new one 13.2 V. This seems to have helped greatly. The code light is going out almost instantly and she starts immediately the starter is operated. We will see how it goes now. Perhaps the weaker battery did not give a strong enough signal to the code box!
The car battery itself is fine. A new one with the indicator showing green. All connections looking good.

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 164QV

The problem returned after a further week of normal starting, so back to the agent. Eventually tracked down to a loose connection on the code box. Everything now working, and also the auto electrician removed the aftermarket alarm system as well. It would appear it had nothing basically to do with the immobiliser fault however. Both keys now coded in and working as they should and no separate alarm fob to worry about.

What a pain!!!

Thanks for your help guys.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 1999 , 25l , auto , code , control , fault