Another Selespeed problem! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-07-10 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Help Another Selespeed problem!

My 147 has been sounding a little diesel like for a month or so, variator probably needs replacing however at the weekend it became more pronounced. It was quickly accompanied by what can only be described as an occasional squeal like the pump was straining. The pump does prime on opening the drivers door and is quiet, there are no warning lights, the battery appears to be healthy and all the fluid levels are correct and clean. It was still driving with no power loss and absolutely no problem gear changing up or down (I don’t drive it in “City” mode). That was Saturday, three days ago, yesterday morning however I was unable to select any gear what so ever. I had not driven it much prior to that morning except a 35 mile round trip to work the day before (Monday). The car is on an 04 plate (6 years old), has done 52k miles and has not missed a service according to the service history. I have had the car for just over a year and had the selespeed calibrated on both the last two services. The cambelt was changed at 40k, an ideal time to have replaced the variator but there you go! Any ideas? Please leave the "sounds like the actuator" till last it hurts!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Locate the 20-way sele loom connector (left of the battery), open it by pulling the tab at one end, and give all the pins a good clean with contact cleaner.

While you're at it, do the same with the pump relay.

You're pretty close to Smaky (Swindon) if it's anything more serious.

Last edited by iainfm; 14-07-10 at 10:32.
AO Member
County: Fife
Haha Iain
good advice there on cleaning the 20way connector worked for me!
County: Wiltshire
Originally Posted by cols_alfa View Post
Please leave the "sounds like the actuator" till last it hurts!
Having only ever repaced one actuator in anger I think I can confidently say it's NOT the actuator, Prime suspects though are pump relay, accumulator, pressure switch or gearbox, in that order, but certainly NOT the actuator.

A diagnostic session watching the pressure and clutch rod length would pretty much point to the faulty component.
AO Gold Member
just did a diagnostic on a 156 sele... pressure was 77 bar and the pump only ran for a second...
clear case of the accumulator knackered ! in the end the Tutella will be pressed into the gearbox which will cause havoc !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problem , selespeed