Alfa GT possibility - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Fife
Wave Alfa GT possibility

Good morning folks

I was wandering if anyone could help me on a few questions about Alfa GT thinking about buying one when I get home.

What is better one to go for Diesel or Petrol?

Looking to expand family next year so does anyone have one with young kids?

I play Ice Hockey so is the boot big enuf for kit? Buggie etc. (not all at once)

What is main thing to look out for when viewing these cars?
Going to go for the manual as Iv had a good experience with my 147 Selespeed dont want
a bad one! haha

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bratislavsky
Diesel vs. petrol is an interesting decision. I purchased a 2.0 JTS GT last week after having tried both that and the 1.9 JTDM. I don't do a lot of mileage and the price (and sound) of the petrol is just more me.

There's a ton of threads about kids vs. no kids. I think the general take is that there is plney of room for the kids in the back, but that getting them in and out is more difficult than with a 5-door.

Boot is pretty big - wouldn't think that would be an issue.

GT is same issues as 147 I would say. Search for a buyers guide and bring someone who understands cars (or cross your fingers and hope for the best). Check that oil is plenty and belts & waterpump have been replaced.
AO Silver Member

There are plenty of threads regarding the thorny old debate of diesel v petrol, some of which get a little heated. Examples here:

Diesel is obviously more frugal, is punchier, cheaper to tax, but doesn't sound as nice. If money was no object I think universal agreement would be get the V6.

On the practicality front, again there are a few threads on this already, and I'll stick my neck out and summarise the views as being: boot is decent size, can be a little tricky getting babies in the back seats, a little dark and claustrophic in there, but well worth it! A few example threads here:

Tell you what, don't read any of this, just buy one.
County: Greater London

Member car:

As outlined above, there are plenty of forums discussing the relative merits or petrol or diesel. I eventually chose the diesel route and with accompanying Angel remap and have to say that I've not been disappointed... It obviously doesn't sound particularly tuneful (although it's far better from the inside than outside) but that's a small price to pay for the mid-range punch the engine gives.

The car is a decent size inside although the doors make access in tight car parks a bit of a pain and as mentioned above, getting kids in and out can need a patient approach. The boot is easily big enough to carry sport equipment - I carry golf clubs and a trolley regularly and there's plenty of space for that (and extra).

Think the things to watch out for have been outlined above - buy one from a indie if you can. Make sure that the waterpump has been changed in line with guidelines and when test driving, check for strange knocks and bumps from the rear (the boot / exhaust / rear bushes can all be noisy).

However, have to agree with Paj - the GT is a great car and if you buy one, you'll have a smile on your face every time you go to drive it ;-)
AO Member

Member car:

GT diesel

Ey up i,ve had a diesel now for 8 month and love it. Stick it in 6th and just cruise on the motorway, fantastic. As mentioned before be sure that the cambelt n water pump hav been changed at 40k or 5 years old is a must. Good luck!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , possibility