156 Clutch Slave Cylinder Failure
Driving my car to work last week I thought that the clutch was feeling strange - there seemed to be more travel in the pedal and the bite point seemed to be lower... I drove the car again the following day and realised that there was definitely an issue. By the time I got home it was difficult to engage gear. This morning it wouldn't go into gear at all...
It turned out to be a failed clutch slave. First clue was the empty brake fluid reservoir and after taking the battery tray out it was a straightforward diagnosis - hydraulic fluid was ******* out of the slave. Amazingly the local motor spares shop had one on the shelf (£30) and even more amazingly it was actually an easy job!
I guess I am fortunate as the JTDs have an externally mounted slave. Having recently had the clutch changed I would have been gutted if it had required the gearbox to come out and a new clutch (due to contamination). Guess it's good practice to get the slave changed at the same time as the clutch if yours is internal to the bell housing.
Forum was first place I looked for info on this and as usual it came up trumps. Cheers