147 Flashing ODOMETER - Window ECU change over - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-10 Thread Starter
County: Essex
Well Happy 147 Flashing ODOMETER - Window ECU change over

I recently suffered a case of the flashing Odometer and at first thought it one of those spurious faults that our beloved Alfas like to throw at us now and again just to keep the brain matter active.However the fault was linked to an event which occured three days earlier and this involved the replacement of the drivers door window switch pack as the drivers button had gone floppy and was fiddly to wind the window up and down. So I purchased a second hand unit off e-bay and fitted it. Resut = button operation perfect windows working ok no problem - so I thought. Car was ok for a few days then the other evening the Alarm sounded for no reason duly reset it and then the car developed a few issues. Passenger window auto close stopped working, the electric sunroof started doing some funky things and the the following day the FLASHING ODOMETER apeared. After a bit of research the flashing odometer is due to an "UNKNOWN DEVICE CONNECTED TO THE CAN BUS" as it turns out the second hand switchpack that I fitted would normally have to be "Proxy aligned" via ALFA factory software. So as my problem was a floppy buton I disassembled both my old switch pack and the replacement and just swapped the switch and the rubber contact membrane over to my original reassembled and plugged it back in. Hey presto - switched on the ignition, let the car self test and no more flashing odometer, fantastic and both the windows work as they should and the sunroof also behaves itself. Looking at the collection of switch pack ECUs I have lying around they all have a different three digit code printed on them.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Very useful thread. Those little white pushrods inside are a real b-----r so try doing this in a large clear plastic bag so they don't go awol!

Last edited by armoore; 03-07-10 at 19:02.
Good thinking.
AO Member
County: -
Yep - the node in the arm rest, if you change this for one from another car then the odometer will flash. Despite all the "cheats" that are listed to cure this, it is 5 minutes on Examiner or bust in my view.

Last edited by Lotuschris; 04-07-10 at 08:39.
AO Member
County: -
the flashing mileage is cause the new door node isn't proxi aligned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , change , ecu , flashing , odometer , window