Any Advise for a New 156 v6 owner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-10 Thread Starter
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 v6

Any Advise for a New 156 v6 owner

Hi all,

I have had a few alfa's over the years and in my "younger Days". Owned Several Sud's, Sprints and once had a spider. But not owned an alfa now for a long time, due to having kids and the bills and things that go with them. I havent had a motor for a while now apart from my car that i use for my job (I own and drive my own Taxi) and always used the car for business and pleasure. Now I have a day driver and leave the taxi at his house so i needed to buy another car, but didnt want any car I wanted an alfa. Anyway despite still having the kids I am also the proud owner of a 99 Alfa 156 2.5l 24v v6, red leather interior (bit worn and cracking) and the wooden steering wheel and wooden effect console, with 91k on the clock.

Picked it up for 1400 and i am thrilled with it. Bodywork is ok, few scratches in places but for the age of the car is not to bad and something i will smarten up at a later date. It has good service history on it until it came from UK to the Isle of Man and had the cambelt changed at 75k. The guy who owned it on the island says he did nothing to it at all and only got rid of it because it scared his wife when she drove it and he says he has only had it for less than a year and only put about 6k on the clock which ties up with the lack of service history which goes up to 85k.

The car itself drives really well and not too much appears to be wrong with it. I have never been technically minded and dont know that much about cars mechanically....I just wanted and alfa again, saw this one and got it! lol.

I am using it at them moment for a couple of weeks basically just to get from my house to my drivers house to get to the taxi to go to work and then drive it back again and the plan is to put the alfa into the garage and take my time restoring it to its best.

A couple of things i have noticed and are very obvious on the alfa at the mo are :

1)There is a loudish noise coming from the front end, kind of like a grinding clunking noise (told you i wasnt technical) mainly the front left and when you go round left handers the noise gets more noticable, the more you turn the more "clunkier" it gets and it is speed related, the faster you go the quicker the "clunk" gets. When you got over bumps or potholes the suspension feels fine and there doesnt seem to be any knocking noises you would associate with suspension. Any ideas what this could be?

2)The exhaust is blowing. I aim to fix this of course but am i as well to replace the whole exhaust and is just the standard exhaust ok to replace it with or should i go with some kind of upgrade

3)I think it needs new discs and pads on the front. I am going to probably put new discs and pads all round on the car and again, just standard discs and pads or upgrade to some better make?

Anyway, if anyone can give me any ideas on the above points or have anything i should look out for or any advise to give i am all ears as i want to get this car looking and running great and at some point be able to show it off to you guys, lol.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Welcome to the forum.

The clunk from the front is probably either a wishbone bush or an anti roll bar drop link. Both are common failure items on the 156 and neither are too expensive to sort.

One other thing to check is the condition of the floor beneath the rear footwell. My 2000/W reg had large rust holes on both sides.

Not all cars are affected though but it is worth checking as it could prevent headaches further on.

For brake discs, and exhaust parts try buypartsby, although you can often get exhaust parts on ebay.

Jason156 on here was selling a cat back stainless cybox system quite cheaply a couple of weeks back, and they make the V6 sound very nice. He might still have it for sale and he is fairly local to you.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.
AO Member
County: Essex
the clunking noise if it's continuous while rolling in a turn could be the CV joint, had that on mine when I got it, as well as the ARB bushes and upper wishbones. Might be possible to clean/re-pack the CV with grease, assuming it's still serviceable, or replace it.

AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I would have said the clunking would be a driveshaft as it gets louder the more you turn, etc.

I'd second the buypartsby suggestion. You might get a mix of manufacturers but they will be branded parts not something off the back of a rickshaw from Taiwan ... they are showing Mintex part numbers so probably that's what you will get ... but they could be Ferodo, Lucas/Delphi, QH, etc. It's the website of a good motor factors in the midlands (Sutton).

The V6 has the same 284mm vented front discs as the 2.0 so probably the MDB2068 pads. The rears can be confusing as there are two sizes but as you have an early model they will be the smaller 251mm sized discs with the MDB1742 pads with springs mounted to them. To change the rear pads you will need a brake piston rewind tool. For the fronts a 7mm hex socket. And a good selection of metric sockets and spanners, etc. If you are interested there's a "How-To" on my website which shows you how to change pads and discs (on a 2.0 TS, but exactly the same as your V6): under Hints and Tips and scroll down to the first item under the engine pic.

And above all ... enjoy that Alfa!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-10 Thread Starter
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 v6

Already such good responce and advise, lol

The noise doesnt actually get louder although from inside the car it sounds a lot more clunky.

am i ok to drive it as i might have to wait another week to get it in the garage and dont really want to drive the other option i got which is my day drivers 1.4 Citreon until i have too, lol

I doubt to be honest i would do any work myself as like i said ireally dont have any clue when it comes to cars
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

cheap brake discs and ferodo ds2500's on front ,normal brake feel and bite from cold but you wont lose brakes going quick

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , advise , owner