GT 3.2V6 Engine Sound - Can it be made better? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire
GT 3.2V6 Engine Sound - Can it be made better?

As we all know the Alfa V6 is possibly the best sounding engine ever ! Any tips on making it sound more glorious? air filter change etc ?

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: -
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
i guess a free flowing exhaust may help if its too quiet for you, but its pretty close to perfect sounding as is. the 12v motor may be a little less powerful, but its definatley got a nicer sound than the 24v, and thats saying something as the 24v sounds amazing.
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
yes, bmc cda seems the way to go with these, and a nice free flowing s/s exhaust, unleash the beast, job done
Graham P
The Autodelta induction sounded good on my old one

P.S As above a BMC CDA may be even better
Graham P
I have just had a Novitech back box fitted to my 159 3.2 and that has done wonders for it so I can only imagine how good it would sound on a Busso 3.2
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

I've changed a fair bit:
*Autodelta drop-in air filter: negligible difference in noise; good that it's cleanable and reusable
*backbox: big difference, but at risk of excessive drone; I have a local Oz-produced HiTech Muffler 'Mille Miglia' backbox
*centre pipe: I use the factory original with the resonator; some people go straight-through, which makes the sound louder, but little change in character; if you simply want 'more of the same', then you could keep the factory backbox, and change to a straight-through centre pipe, and it will be a bit louder
*highflow main catalytic converters: I have 200 cell/in^2 HiTech Muffler highflow cats; this helped reduce drone and 'refine' the sound
*equal-length front pipes (between manifolds and cats): added high rev growl and a bit of metallic snarl; I liked the effect of these, plus they provided (easily) the biggest power increase that I could feel (haven't dyno'd the car since adding these, but I dyno'd after the backbox and cats and the power increase was very modest and not obvious from 'the seat of my pants')

I have no plans to change the manifolds. I've read mixed reports; whilst it increases power/torque, it can ruin the sound.

So I'm really happy. The backbox alone made the biggest difference in sound, but there was (and still is) drone at about 2500rpm. The cats and front pipes reduced this a lot and it now sounds great.

This was before the equal-length FPs: YouTube - Alfa GT 3.2L Mille Miglia high flow cats + rear muffler (1)

When you hear it in person, it's quite loud and can be menacing, but all in good ways!

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Gold Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Dodge Journey

ok i just went nuts drilled out the cats in the manifold then put a 72mm straight through from where the 2 branches come down. 2 boxes and one resonator.... K&N filter and job done.. funny enough its pretty quiet when not acting like an animal
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 01-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeenshire
Thanks guys ! food for thought... I'll maybe try a K&N filter.. im just about to go down the Q2, FSD's and Eibach springs plus a belt change so I think exhausts and other higher costs changes will have to wait
AO Member
County: Kent
I've found that K&N are not particularly good on Alfa engines (from personal experience), also on a friend of mines GTA it actually reduced power. I've got a BMC CDA kit on mine, and Cybox exhaust (Better than my old Supersprint) and it sounds great, not too overbearing at low RPM, but grows from great growl into a shriek when you give it the beans
The BMC CDA I fitted on my 2.5 sounds the business, even the missus appreciates it
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , made , sound