147/156 Selespeed reliability - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Falkirk
147/156 Selespeed reliability

Just wondering how people find their 147 and late model 156 Selespeeds for reliability (the Selespeed system itself that is)? I know they seem to use a slightly different system from the original one found on the early 156s, but in general is it reliable? The reason I ask is that I've seen a few up for sale lately and to be honest the system intrigues me but I worry about the problems that may be lurking. I drove an early 156 Sele when they first came out and quite liked it but the two buttons on the wheel were a bit of a faff and going into reverse, etc when parking was always a bit drawn out too. Is it any different on the later Selespeed cars as I know they use a more up to date flip paddle behind the steering wheel?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
its an excellent system, even Ferrari and Aston use it, but.... you need to keep an eye on the Tutella oil and check the connectors once a year, also Alfadiag is a good idea to check the Sele ECU
and fault codes if there are any, also the clutch pin rod length needs checking every year.
I drove one (a 99 156) for 10 years and no problems except the clutch release bearing, which went bang ! after 120k the later types had an upgraded ECU , I have no experience with that.
The bad news is that the sele reputation is bad.... the good news is that you can buy one for pennies
and they are worth some dough to make them perfect !!!!

and look at the picture !!! isn't it a great setup...

Rarebear 'fastest piston engine airplane in the world' 4000 hp twinspark (!) radial engine.
Thta's what we call an ENGINE>>>>

Last edited by rarebear; 14-09-10 at 11:29.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

It seems to me that the mechanical reliability of the gearbox itself is at least as good as for the 156/147 manual gearbox. I remember when most Italian manual gearboxes from the 70s and 80s had worn-out syncros, loud whines, and oil leaks. That no longer seems to apply.

In terms of electronic reliability, it possibly could be better... absolutely any part of the system can fail, from the lever switch, to the relay, to the brushes in the pump, to the position sensors.

But then again, there are a hundred different ways to die every day (electrocution, meningitis, choking, paralysing stroke, heart attack, being hit by a bus, nuclear war, asteroid strike...) and yet somehow most of us will still be here tomorrow.

And most of our Selespeeds will still be working.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Never had any issues with myn and had it for over 18 months.
Shes gone to a new owner now tho Peugeot 306 FTL :'(

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

reliability , selespeed