iPhone connect - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

iPhone connect

Hey guys, been trying to find some direction on installing a suitable kit in my 147 for my iPhone 3Gs, but getting quite confused.

Simply, I have a CD head unit fitted in my 2001 147. Dont think it's Blaupunkt or anything too fancy, looks just like the one in the manual.

I'd love to connect my iPhone to play music but would also love to use it for handsfree phonecalls, is this possible to achieve?

Been looking at the Connect2 kit on ebay for around 57 but I believe I'll also need some other device rigged up to allow for phone calls.

Is it possible to achieve all this with one device/system?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

I recommend the XCarLink with optional Bluetooth module, http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...&cat=13&page=1 Works with any Blaupunkt-based head unit, as fitted standard to most FIAT/Alfa models and probably yours too. Makes the iPod or iPhone appear as a CD changer to the headunit, with playlists as discs, except for disc 1 which becomes a direct-control mode (you control the iPod/iPhone directly but next/previous track buttons on the steering wheel still work). Considering how well it works, the XCarLink is a bargain at less than 80 pounds.

I bought an iPod because it has more capacity (120GB or 160GB), looks great in silver next to the silver dash of my 156, and is easier to control in direct-control mode than the touchscreen of my iPhone.

I have the TomTom carkit as well but I don't recommend that - total waste of money, cost far more than the XCarLink yet doesn't perform its intended function - GPS or handsfree calling - any better than the iPhone does by itself. In my experience. Someone here said they found the GPS better, but in my case I think it may actually be a little worse. Anyway, the TomTom carkit has only a 3.5mm line out, so it won't (of course) interface to your headunit and steering wheel controls, and therefore it's pretty hopeless for playing music (my TomTom carkit creates a background buzzing noise as well). Also, phone conversations are not played through the audio output, which is just plain stupid - you have to try and make out the conversation through the generously-sized TomTom speaker that still manages to be too quiet AND too tinny as well - better off to un-pair the iPhone and use its own speakerphone mode...

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 26-06-10 at 09:08.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 26-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Fantastic alex thanks for the insight. I've noticed a few kits on eBay, relatively cheaper, noticably this one

Seems to Included most if the main features bar the Bluetooth compatibility, but i wonder if a Bluetooth nodule can be added at a later date.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

connect , iphone