156 T Spark - Ignisiton Malfunction? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 22-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Essex

Member car:

156 t spark

156 T Spark - Ignisiton Malfunction?

Hi everyone - new on here and looking for some advise if possible....
Just bought a 2001 Alfa 156 T Spark 1.6. All was fine when collected it Sunday however yesterday I noticed a light came on on the dash. The Manual says the light is its the Engine Control System - "indicates that the supply / ignition system is malfunctionuing that could cause high exhaust emissions, possible loss of performance, bad driveability and high consumptions."
Anyone had a similar problem and been able to fix it? Is it a massive problem and expensive to fix?
I am taking it to a garage but just wanted some advise as well before...
Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Best to get the fault codes read with diagnostic software
County: Gloucestershire
The exact same has happened to my 156 and was hoping to find people on here talking about how easy and cheap it was to fix before i booked mine in please let me know the outcome.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Until you know what the problem is, you can't start to guess at whether you both have the same issue ... the EML can come on for a whole raft of reasons .. some are cheaper to fix that others.

Get the ECU fault codes checked out and that will at least give you something to start on ... but remember the early models are NOT EOBD compliant, so you might not be able to get an tom, dick or harry to read these ... you may need the official Alfa/Fiat Examiner system or someone with access to FiatEcuScan or AlfaDiag.

obiyoung: if you bought yours from a dealer ... take it back to them first ... you should have some sort of warranty.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

916 v6 lusso

If I were you and didn't have access to the diag. software etc. and before I booked it into a dealer I'd carry out an ecu reset. I had that problem when I 1st. bought mine booked it into an Indi. who told me the I'd need to replace the throttle/accelator pot. only to find when I done an ecu reset all was fine and has been for several 1,000 miles. I've been told since all I done was a throttle reset and maybe thats true but it solved my problem. (I have since got the software etc. and cleared the fault in the ecu which even with the reset I mention done will be logged but wont show on the dash or re-alarm if that was the problem therby buying you time)

Having said that as previous posts it could be several things causing the fault.....but worth a try.
Make sure you got the radio code before you reset the ecu and good luck.
AO Gold Member
Gazza - Obiyoung's post was two years ago so hopefully he found a solution - since he never posted again!
County: Gloucestershire
Great and interesting advice, cheers people

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , ignisiton , malfunction , spark