Sillyspeed prob with reverse/1st - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Sillyspeed prob with reverse/1st

The co-pilot's 147 2.0 Sillyspeed is throwing a strop on a more frequent basis. I've read the main thread, and searched the forum ahead of this post.....

The issue seems to happen more on hot days, not necessarily when the engine/trans is hot after a run as it will usually happen when the car has been sat for hours. The car is almost always driven in 'manual mode' with gear switching done through the stick rather than paddles.

What seems to happen is that when switching from 1st into/out of reverse the system chucks a "selespeed system failure and puts you into City mode". You can select reverse and all seems okay, but you then remain in City mode. Moving to manual throws the same msg. If you drive off in City mode the car will select 2nd and then go back into manual mode, all seems okay!

There are variations on this model, but the problem only tends to occur when parking/low speed manoeuvring. Thus far it has only once dropped into Neutral from a higher gear (in 4th).

We have had a code read which indicated errors on 2nd & 3rd levers?

From reading the forum I tend to think it may be an accumulator problem, but would appreciate other's opinions.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Brandenburg

keep cool and don't let yourself get scared.

First check the obvious:
- oil
- battery
- connections

does the eol calibration work without fault (i think in your case it should not)?

You have checked this
Alfa Romeo Selespeed - manual>city uncommanded ?

heads up.

Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Going into City mode sounds like a minor problem with the lever or steering wheel switches. Since you say this happens during manoevuring, I'm going to suggest a clockspring problem as being a possible cause. The clockspring is the name for the wound-on-a-drum flexible tape that provides electrical connections to the steering wheel for the Selespeed switches and the airbag (and stereo controls if you have them).

Once you have FIATECUScan or Alfadiag, you'll be able to read the fault codes and see if they relate to the steering wheel switches or the lever. I can't understand what you mean about the 'errors on 2nd and 3rd levers' - exact fault code would be useful to know

Accumulator problems usually cause the pressure to be all over the place and the pump to be running frequently for short bursts, causing spikes in the pressure. Again, FIATECUScan or Alfadiag will allow you to see what is happening to the pressure. It should be capable of making several gearchanges without the need for the pump to run. The pump should then run for a few seconds to bring the pressure back up to 50 bar. I think FIATECUScan may mis-read the actual pressure, but it is the trend that you are interested in, rather than the actual value.

Either way, 'errors on 2nd and 3rd levers' doesn't sound like a pressure-related fault code. Does the pump run for the usual seven seconds when you open the driver's door and before you turn on the ignition key? If so, then I doubt the accumulator is faulty.

Don't let Rarebear see you calling it a 'Sillyspeed'!

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 22-06-10 at 10:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

prob , reverse or 1st , sillyspeed