Mystery creaking noises... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Mystery creaking noises...

When cold, my 147 has been making a bit of a nasty creaking noise from somewhere down around the front off-side wheel when going over bumps. Really only happens literally first thing in the morning (like 7am), which is making it hard to nail down.

I took her into the garage, and they found a lot of play in the anti roll bar, due to a plastic casing (?) that had gone, and the bushes were knacked. So they replaced the whole anti roll bar kit, which came to a reasonable amount with labour included.

But the issue doesn't seem to have gone away. I think (though not sure!) it is improved - used to be an obvious creaking for a while whenever setting off, even on only slightly uneven surfaces, whereas now it seems that it is only when it is literally cold (ie 7am), which is making it pretty much impossible for the garage to pin down, as by the time I drive it down there and the garage has opened at 9am, they can't hear it (probably think I'm nuts!).

To be honest though, I'm not toally sure if it's improved, or if it was always like this, and there is just part of my brain that doesn't want to have wasted a couple of hundred quid!

They've looked over every component they can think of for signs of wear, or excess play, and can't find anything. Is there anything specific anybody can suggets that could be the problem?

Last edited by A1Dan75; 21-06-10 at 16:11.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

could it be upper wishbones? mine is making bad creaky noises at the moment even on flattish roads, apparently the upperwish bones are to blame and some grease should hopefully sort it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

creaking , mystery , mystrey , noises