Some thoughts on the Alfa 156... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Free State
Some thoughts on the Alfa 156...

Raait, so it's been nearly 3 weeks with the Sportwagon.

Firstly nothing has broken. *Touches some wood.

I am pleasantly surprised by the 2.0 Twinspark engine. It loves to rev and the red line only starts at 7k rpm! She really lifts her skirts from 4k rpm onwards. On the last tank of fuel I did some town driving, a 300km trip @ 160km/h and a couple of hooning sessions with some high speed runs to 200km/h on the private test strip. Consumption came to 10.8L/100km which I think is not bad at all.

I'm enjoying that car's interior very much. The driving position is very good and the seats superb. No sign of fatigue after a couple of hundred km's. The dual zone climate control is very nice. Everyone likes the shape of the dash. Everything feels high quality and is pleasant to touch. The leather steering wheel is a work of art. Cruise control works very well and holds speeds smoothly and effectively. The interior looks the business at night with the red lighting.

I've already made good use of the space and practicality of the Sportwagon, and it's nice to be able to cart stuff around after the tinyness of the smart.

The ride is very good, the car soaking up bumps and irregularities well whilst being flat and composed around corners. I think the next thing to do will be replacing the shocks. I'll start with the fronts as they are quite pricey.

GF and I are carting 3 kids to the coast next week. Can't WAIT. I just love driving this car.

I still have to have a couple of small dents removed, and I'm having the upholstery of the RR door card fixed @ R250 tomorrow.

All in all I'm very happy.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Nice to read a happy thread
I'm about to start my own...

I know what you mean about the Twinspark
Yet I took a friend for a drive yesterday (he has a 1991 M5) and he wasn't impressed with the 'gutless' performance of my 156 - I have to admit it wasn't stunningly fast (like my Uno Turbo!) but at other times I've been happy with its capability. I learned yesterday that it won't actually get to the redline before the Selespeed goes for the next gear!

The M5 is a pretty awesome car, after all. The 156 is a lot more practical...

The cabin with red-illuminated controls and dials is a nice place to be at night, isn't it...

I changed my interior lights for the LED type, but I'm going to change back - the old bulbs have a nice warmth that makes the red leather glow. LEDs look bright but the white is just too bluish-white.

I didn't think the ride was especially composed, and even with my new Eibachs and Konis, it feels a little bit side-to-side-rocking, though I'm hoping a wheel alignment will tie things down a bit.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , thoughts