So little mpg from a 'lowly' 1.6...??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 20-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Hmmm So little mpg from a 'lowly' 1.6...???

Evening All

Recently took my 147 to Gus at Alfatune for full 120K service - new cam belt, variator and all the usual - great service and quality as expected! Before having it done the engine management light was up, and Gus said he recorded loads of faults - including a mis-fire on cylinders 1 & 3!?!

After the service the light went, but has since returned two weeks later. The variator is also making a diesel noise at startup and sometimes continues, despite being brand new.

So I'm getting 35 mpg doing 65 on a flat straight motoway! Is this normal for the 120bhp 1.6 at over 9 years old? Could these other issues like the mis-fires be completely killing the engine as there's little power too. Any help would be great Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
If the variator has failed take it back to Gus, I'm sure he'll replace that for you FOC (as all parts should come with at least a 3 month warranty).

35mpg for a 1.6.............You're not running a JTD chum, you're running an Alfa Romeo TS engine, not the most advanced pieces of automative engineering. Complicated yes, What did you expect?

And you haven't got the 'lowiest' version of this engine - there's a 1.6 105 bhp version, and it hasn't got a variator. Result!!
AO Gold Member
Sounds like you should be going back to Alfatune to ask most of your questions......a new variator shouldn't sound dieselly.

How are you calculating "35mpg at 65mph on a flat straight motorway"? If that is actually an accurate brim-to-brim measurement after only that sort of driving...which I suspect is unlikely... then I would have expected better, probably 40-ish mpg, but if 35 is an overall assessment, its probably not too bad...people often expect a small engine to give better mpg than a larger one, but it ain't necessarily so!
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

dieselling you describe might not be variator but a mis-fire
AO Gold Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

My average mpg was at 25.3mpg earlier on my 1.6 147 its a 2001 Y reg so 9 years old and sometimes when i start it up after not using it for a while it makes a diesel noise for a few seconds. I heard somewhere even some new variators can make that noise though??
AO Member
I've had four new variators on my 1.6 engines. None have ever made the diesel noise when new.

MPG during the summer months, cruising at 65mph should give about 45mpg indicated. The temperature needle should be just below 90C.
AO Silver Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

You are definately about 10MPG down. My old 2.0 TS did 37-38MPG at those speeds on motorways. The TS is not great in town, but definately does better than that on the motorway at 65.
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London
@ 65 you should be looking into the 40's as I get around 40 doing 70 w/ cruise control

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , engine , light , lowly , management , mpg