Knocking noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Glasgow
Knocking noise

Hello guys, need your help please!

Used to have a Sportwagon and it occasionally had a knocking noise which was "cured" by slamming the boot down. Now have a GT and, following a dive into a pothole, I now have a similar knock but slamming to boot doesn't help. I did, briefly, get alarm going off as if a door/boot wasn't closed but this has gone, knock remains.

What do I try? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Broken wishbone? Droplinks? ARB?
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

147 T/S

I had a similar problem, every time I drove over any kind of bump I had an knocking noise from the front o/s. It turned our that the anti roll bar needed replacing..

If you do need any parts take a look at Shop4Parts: Welcome
I've just changed my front one today. I can't beleive how little apparent wear to the nearside bushing could cause so much noise every little bump at low speed caused a klonk!! I previously changed the droplinks which seemed to fix it for about 5 miles. In the end I bit the bullet and got a new bar, not for the faint hearted but the lack of noise is a huge reward. Don't beleive anyone that says you don't have to drop the subframe, cos if they really can do it they without doing so, they must be the kind of brainsurgeons who operate through the groin and would not be messing about servicing their own cars!!
AO Member
County: Ticino

Member car:

156 2.0JTS SW

It may just be worth checking..... you say you had a SW
I had the same problem, sounded like a knocking from the rear, may'be top of the shockers...sort of sound
I was convinced that was the problem
However, I found after numerous inspections that the 'locking mechanism' for the rear trunk cover cassette (the one you pull/roll out from the rear of the seat area) was not locating properly into the locking tabs - by this I mean the two mechanical knobs with green stickers
Therefore, as I was driving at low speeds I had this very annoying low level clunking noise
Release the cassette altogether, then replace it with a good firm slam either side
See if that helps..... it stopped mine
As for the GT, dont know if it has a 'trunk cover'
Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

knocking , noise