147 Transmission Whine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
147 Transmission Whine

Ever since I've had it my 147 has had a transmission whine at motorway speeds. It started at around 72 mph, only under load - lift off the accelerator & it stopped - & was present in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear.

Nobody could give a positive diagnosis - one Alfa technician did comment that they had come across this problem but found no fault with the gearbox when it was dismantled.

After a lot of head-scratching I decided the only way of curing it was to replace the gearbox, so I bought a second-hand unit from Autolusso (excellent service!) & had it fitted. Aaarrgghhh - the noise is still there, but starting at lower speeds!

So, have I just been unlucky & stumbled across two gearboxes out of many thousands with an almost unheard-of fault or does the fault lie somewhere else?

I've more or less (wrongly?) ruled out drive shafts as the noise doesn't vary with suspension movement - if it's a CV joint I'd expect it to change as the joint angle changes. It's something which is common to all gears, so I believe it's got to be in the final drive or drive shafts, not the gearbox itself - I thought crownwheel & pinion, but it's an amazing coincidence if I've found the same fault twice!

Clutching at straws, could it possibly be the intermediate drive shaft bearing? I'm sceptical about that, as I wouldn't really expect bearing whine to vary according to whether the shaft is under load or not.

I'm at my wits' end with this one (not, some would say, a very long journey!) so any clues, theories or suggestions would be more than welcome!

Where are we going & why am I in this handcart?
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 21-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Nobody got any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions, even silly ones!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
I had this in several of my alfas. I think its related to being run low of oil at some point. The courtesy 156 I currently have does the same thing and I can see that is has a whopping great big leak from the side of teh box. My 155 ts does it although when you get to 70 its got more of a teeth nashing vibration which then smooths out as you get above 80. It has done 220,000 miles though and was run low on oil before I bought it as it was low when I got it. My mrs car (206 but ignore)also developed this as it got a leak from the driveshaft oil seal after some burk damaged it changing the driveshafts. I fixed teh leak but its whined ever since. So to sum up with all boxes not just alfa if they are run low on oil they just get a bit worn. They don't go bang as my 155 has done 80,000 miles since I bought it and its not got any worse.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
I have the same problem, so not just you

had a similar issue with a 164, replaced the gear box and clutch, convinced it was the diff howling, but still there, so went back to the scrapyard and got the whole left side suspension arm, hub and driveshaft and replaced that, sound went away without knowing quite which one was the guilty party.

Not much help I know.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Originally Posted by purple145 View Post
Not much help I know.
On the contrary! I've had a chat with my mate, neighbour & mechanic (one & the same person!) this morning & we've decided that, based on your comments, wheel bearing replacement is the way to go. Doing one at once (left first for no other reason than that was the side you had problems with) to see if there's any improvement.

To be honest I don't want to spend too much money on it, as it's going soon, but on the other hand I don't want the next owner to be as disillusioned as I was.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , transmission , whine