156 Selespeed box problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 14-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
156 Selespeed box problem

Hi all, not had the 156 for long maybe 2 months now, so far been great! but recently it's been playing up a bit, mainly cutting out when at low revs (only very occasionally) sometimes not shifting through the gears for a couple of seconds then it'll change. But this morning the worst! Taking my daughter school, just slowing down for traffic lights (in second gear) then it cuts out, goes into neutral and wont restart, the red gearbox warning light and neutral symbol are flashing alternatly. Luckily a council guy gave me a push to get it off the main road. I did notice when i got back to the car after a mile walk to school, that when you open the drivers door i cant hear the hydralic pump running? Is the pump on a fuse?

Any suggestions for what to check much appreciated
Sponsored Links
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 selespeed

hiya have you check selespeed oil level? the resivour is on n/s wing pump goes through small red relay just infront of battery they fail sometimes hope this helps
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Have you looked at the battery voltage or the alternator's output as the pump takes a lot off of the battery, also there is i have been told (on a 147) a connector which connects the pump to the electrics, i have been told that this sometimes gets corroded and need to be cleaned, have a little look at that too.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 14-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
Cheers guys i'll check both in the morning. Left the car in town where it stopped this morning, went back to it about 3 hours later. Turned on the ignition and could select between 1,2,N and R but still the red gearbox warning flashing. Turned the key and she fired up thought i'd try and get it home so set off, 1 ok, 2ok then hey presto 3,4,5! then the gearbox warning light went out. Only thing is i need to find whats caused this as i've got a trip to london friday and dont want it playin up during the trip. Will check the oil level relays etc and see what happens.

cheers guys
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
I have the same problem. Pulled up to the lights and went into neuteal. Tried to select a gear with no joy so had to push off the road. Highly embarresing.
It will still tick over at stand still but wont select any gears at all. I have been told that its the clutch but have a feeling its only sensors. I know my way around cars (even though not trained) but would be grateful of some guidance.

Many thanks
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
again, check oil level and check the pump is priming,

if your car has insufficient sele oil or no power to the sele pump via the relay, this will happen.

AO Member
County: Tyrone
When you are sitting stationary with the engine running, it is not possible to select 3rd/4th/5th gears anyway so don't let that lead you astray. Also the pump won't prime if its only been a short while since you left the car. If you got the selespeed warning icon then it could maybe also be an overheated clutch or as been suggested low oil level? Although I think there is a light on the dash to warn of low selespeed oil anyways..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , box , problem , selespeed