GT - Jiggly ride and vibrations - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
GT - Jiggly ride and vibrations

The ride on my GT seems to be becoming increasingly jiggly/bobbly to the point where it feels like it's got oval or octagonal wheels. Things aren't too bad until about 55mph and over. You can also feel it through steering wheel (all wheels have been done, as has tracking), and feel vibrations through accelerator pedal, and brake pedal when stopping.

Car tracks straight with hands off wheel, but as soon as you put a slight steering input to move left or right car can feel very sensitive, as if it's following a rut - although this isn't consistent. Ride also feels worse over smooth surfaces.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? As I've said the tracking and balancing has all been done, the brake pedal sensation can't be pads, as they've all been replaced. So, I was wondering if any of the following could be the most likely candidate(s):

Front lower or upper wishbones/suspension bushes
Drive shafts
Alloys damaged by pot holes
Rogue tyre

or something else?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

could be anything. knackered shocks, flat spot on the tyres, buckled rims. Saying that mine horrendous at the mo to
AO Member
County: West Sussex
From what you describe it sounds like the wheels are buckled. I replaced both my front wheels due to this reason, i tried them on the rear but still noisy, so i replaced them via eBay. Basically alfa wheels on the GT are soft as sh*t and buckle over time. My tyre place noticed it when he was balencing the wheel, looked like a rugby ball Slight exaggeration there but you get my drift. Maybe ask yours to put it on the balancer machine and have a look. beware what you find though, you might not like it !!

oops, finger trouble !
twitter @soppydogcards
County: Gwynedd

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Wheels need balancing by the sound of it.
AO Member
County: Vestfold
Had to replace mine as well. Bought a set of 8x18 OZ Ultraleggera. Problem solved
But i still feel a tend to som vibrations. Next is change of wheel hubs rear. (at least I Know it is the rear end that the vibrations are comig from.)

BTW. Have you checked drive shafts/joints? May cause vibrations as well you know

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jiggly , ride , vibrations