2.4 jtd 20v (54) MSCF / Limp mode - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
2.4 jtd 20v (54) MSCF / Limp mode

Hi all,

Had loss of power and limp mode on the way home today and at a loss as to what it could be.
Turbo was replaced under warranty Nov 08 (44k), with new air flow meter after MSCF failure. Turbo main hose replaced late last year and was running superlovely. Just had 72k service completed about 2 months ago and bish bash bosh i have the dreaded beep beep beep and the go to dealer sign of doom appears.
Checked through the forum and see that some have done an ECU reset and its cleared, others have suggested a replacement battery. any ideas ?.

Just paid out 1200 at time of 72k service for various bits n pieces, anti roll, brakes, blah blah blah. Also had drive shafts fail and now told that Alfa want 500 per pair. Tried to buy recons a little while ago and nobody was able to send my garage the right parts.

Climate system either blows freezing cold or blazing hot no matter what temp it is on other than Low (freezing).

Sorry for the multiple list of probs but really am at a loss & wonder if there is a quick and easy fix for a non petrol head to complete before i take it back to Alfaworkshop with the credit card going to take a battering.....again. having said that , Jamie at alfaworkshop has been helpful so it may be a no brainer and a slow slow drive up the M11.

Love my italian beauty but good money appears to be flowing down the drain at the moment. Its also got to get me to Glastonbury in two weeks so a little nervous if i will make it......

Last edited by djmineral; 07-06-10 at 19:56.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

From experience I can say that driveshaftuk.com provide a great service for re-con 20V driveshafts. Extremely quick and great value. Quality work too.

Check the small rubber vacuum pipes at either end of the turbo actuator pipework (hard plastic pipe from upper front of engine to turbo) as they are prone to splitting. Easily replaced with distributor vacuum advance tubing from your nearest motor factor for about 80p!

Can't help with the heating. Mine was okay.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 09-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Cheers for the advice, will have a look in a moment.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Re drive shafts - proceed with extreme caution if you are buying from an alfa main dealer, know EXACTLY what you need before you order and ask to see it on the screen. They suck you in and let you find out after delivery that you need more and more parts which 'arent included', then insist on a 25% re-stocking fee if you want to back out. Very nice people. Basically you need driveshafts AND cv joints AND inner cups (alfa call them half shafts). You'll also probably find like me that gaiters and clips are extra too. And you're right, if you buy from a factor, there is a big problem with different non-compatible parts for the same models. They need to be ordered by chassis number, but then you need the main dealer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20v , jtd , limp , mode , mscf