Exhaust smokey & oil on Battery 2.4JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Exhaust smokey & oil on Battery 2.4JTD

Mrs A had reported excessive smokiness on the 2.4JTD 10v, so i was going to put in some injector cleaner(kerosene/parrafin)...But when i opened the bonnet there is oil all over our nice new battery, and it seems the big pipe that goes from the oil cooler and round to the RHS of the cylinder head is leaking.

In my ignorance i'm not quite sure what that pipe does. The smokiness and the oil leak may not be connected but I have a feeling they are.

Help and advice please.

Panic over... the top hose has a split in the bottom...Temp repair for now and we'l se how it goes until we can get it fixed..is it an easy DIY as I'l do it if so? (I mean VERY easy as I'm time pressed at present)

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 07-06-10 at 12:05.
Sponsored Links
Supplementary question..What does the EGR valve look like. I may as well take that off and clean it if I can. Any advice about what and what not to do gratefully received. 10 valve JTD engine.

AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
It's one of the turbo/intake hoses. With a split in it you'll be down on boost, have incorrect fuelling, and a dirty engine bay.

New ones are about £40 from a dealer, or there's a guy selling some Samco ones:

(Edited to remove reference to 16V EGR location )

The hose is an easy job. The EGR valve is a bit more involved. I think someone posted a how-to on here not so long ago...

Last edited by iainfm; 07-06-10 at 14:03.
AO Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

GTV v6

On my 10v 2.4 the EGR is at the front of the engine, looks like a small shiny donut with a small pipe connected to the top middle coming down from beneath the engine cover, it connects to the exhaust manifold and the turbo, easy to get off but use some plusgas or similar on the bolts, leave it for 15 mins and undo them slowly (you don't want to shear one). Clean it with carb cleaner and let it dry before putting it back on. It won't take you long as long as the bolts aren't seized.

I think I'l stick to an original pipe from Alfa. I think his Samco one is for a 1.9 as well.

I'l do a search for the 'how to' on he EGR. Its all taped up now as Mrs A. is off to Gatwick today so the car is away for a time. Lucky so and so is off to Rhodes with her mum for a week. She deserves a break really..work pressure etc. Daughter is off to Zakinthos on friday..I am really feeling left out now

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

24jtd , battery , exhaust , oil , smokey