Weird 156 sportwagon rear wiper? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Weird 156 sportwagon rear wiper?

Rear wiper on 156 SW stopped working a while back then started working again, then stopped working again etc etc. It finally decided it was not going to work and came to rest in the 12 noon position. After a month of no rear wiper, I was getting into the car one morning and accidentally set off the alarm - as the alarm was going off the rear wiper sprang back to life and has been working ever since (about 2 weeks now)? Is the motor done or not?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
My SW rear wiper started getting very slow and I was worried the motor would burnout, so I removed and dismantled it.

The motor and gears were OK but the long shaft through the body ending in the arm mount was very stiff.

It took some shifting to get it out as it has an o-ring seal near the outside end of its tube. The shaft was a bit rusted near to this and when trying to push the shaft back, the o-ring was too dry to slide through. Needs a bit of lubricant (WD40 for eg) easing in from the outside end whilst pushing the shaft in and out to get the ring lubricated, then it should have come out easier. Clean up the shaft and lubricate with a plastic friendly grease and all was OK again.

Whether any of this is relevant to your intermittent fault I don't know. I would advise looking for a loose or broken elec connection.

2002 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Remap + Koni FSD's = Loverly
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Do a 'search' as there is a photo guide to repairing it on here somewhere.
Mine got very stiff and stopped and had the same issue as Jeronimo. Water/wiper fluid runs down the shaft and rusts it, makes it expand and sieze.
My motor was fine: once I'd removed the shaft, sanded it down and greased it back up.....
Stop smirking at the back.....
Thanks guys - I'll give it a go - even if it all sounds a bit Carry On Matron

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , rear , sportwagon , weird , wiper