Should I stay or should I go? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-06-10 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 JDTM 16v

Should I stay or should I go?

HI Guys,

I don't often post (more of a reader then writer) but i'm after some advice.

I've had my 147 JTD m-Jet for a little over a year now and have loved it. Never had any problems from her and have been very lucky.

lately though I've started to look at other cars ( I get bored easily) and am thinking of selling up and buying something else.

I've had a look on autotrader and comparable cars are on there for around the 5k mark but i'm not sure they are selling or if they have been on there for ages. Is this a good guide to what I should put my car up for if I did decide to sell. I've also had a look at Parkers but this doesn't take account of the mileage of my car.

Also although the engine and inside are mint the body has a lot of tiny car park marks and a 7-8inch scratch where a lovely person decided to key my car. Can these effect the price that much or is it something to expect from a 6-7year old car?

Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim
depends what you want to change for.

your valuation will be largely on age and condition. a 147 that is 6-7 years old will not sell near 5k unless it is the best in the country - a GTA of that age would not be much more!

your car is likely worth 3k ish from what you have said - but you need way more details!
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0 TS

Being a JTD, you might get 3.5 - 3.8k but mileage would have to be good and full history and in good condition. Bodywork issues would definately put a lot of people off - you might want to see how much it would cost for someone to pull out the dents and smart repair the scratch. If it is possible to get this done for not too much expense, you might find you recoup the cost and more when selling it.
AO Silver Member
If you know a guy who can fix the scratches fairly cheap then get that done first, it will help shift the car much faster. 'ooh how shiny, you really took care of it' -of course making it sparkly means you took care of the innards

price it realistically but towards the top of what you are seeing on AT, that way it will hurt less when the haggling starts. its tough but as a buyer I knocked a huge ammount off the asking price for my car by spotting every single thing I felt needed attention.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT