So.......took my first test drive in a 156 2.5 V6 today - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 31-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 8v JTDM

So.......took my first test drive in a 156 2.5 V6 today

Today was a big day ................i drove my first Alfa

Been on here a few months asked loads of questions (thanks!) but now I have the funds to get going so today I went to look at a one.

Sounded perfect in the add 12 months MOT, full history, sport pack, red

Took it for a decent test drive and i must say what an engine note! didn't feel as quick as the Punto as that gives a whack of torque and weighs bugger all but the sound and feel was lovely and I am sure its quicker.

So i got there and checked the engine over cold, hardly any water in it! which worried me so asked the owner to top it up!

Had far to many dings in it for my liking and was just rough around the edges and the owner didn't have a clue what button did what etc.

Few things i hope you can help with,

1)This is hard to explain......... but when switched the indicator on the heater fan matched it, as in it pulsed with the indicator, the owner said they all do it................?

2)One of the gaskets was leaking at the top of the engine, didn't look anything major just weeping is this common as i know on Puntos they weep.

3)The rear windows didn't work, the lock was off on the drivers door? and they didn't work on any switch.

4)The interior didn't have the Alfa logo on the headrests, it did have Momo on the side i thought the leather was one options are there two lots of leather seats?

5)Do they get up to temp quick/run hot, I pulled up after the test drive and let it idle for a bit, the gauge rested just under half way and the fan kicked in but it didn't take much for it to get that hot. It wasn't particularly warm today and there wasn't much traffic on the test drive, Im sure the fan kicked in during the test drive too, just waiting at one of two traffic lights.

Must say the car felt very nice to drive no bangs power was smooth, good clutch and gearbox it just had over spray and dents and that's enough for me to walk away.

Cant wait to get one thou just got to play the waiting game
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Canterbury
!. no the light for the heater should not flash with the indicator-car may have a short somewhere.

2.Leaky gasket?-which one -where on the engine??

3. Windows should all work-motors may be stuffed or could be a switch issue

4.Some momo seats have alfa logo but this was removed in later cars

5.Temp up quick? -coupled with low water may be head gasket--EEEEk

Car sounds like a lemon -well walked away from
Good luck with the hunt

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , drive , sotook , test , today