Warning signs of diff failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 30-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Warning signs of diff failure

Hi folks, I've finally got my GT JTD back together after a diff failure, new clutch and dual mass flywheel. One of the planet gears in the standard diff broke up, the bits got tangled up in the crownwheel and forced their way through the bellhousing. I've fitted a Q2 diff in place of the original, stripped and rebuilt the gearbox which needed a new bearing or two after aluminium swarf had found it's way into them. everything seems fine now but in the hope of saving others the hassle and expense I thought I'd share some info with everyone.
The car had been getting increasinglt noisy at motorway speeds, the sound was not unlike a wheel bearing grumbling which was unlucky as I have a noisy wheel bearing which gets worse on left hand bends,(ie. Left front bearing). The noise cam on very gradually so it was difficult to identify and it was accompanied by a slight increase in vibration. These signs have come to mind with the benefit of hindsight, as in they're not there any more! What I have now is a smooth, relatively quiet car. If you're struggling to hear AC/DC at volume level 35 on your stereo at 90mph, your gear lever is vibrating and your car seems less than civilised get your diff checked out.
I did all of the work myself apart from actually fitting the diff to the box and it still cost me a lot of money! Removing and refitting the box was a nightmare, Luckily I am an accomplished alumium welder and managed to do a sound repair on my bellhousing or I'd have had to pay nearly 300 quid for a new one and the labour cost would have increased the bill to well over £2000 and that's not franchised dealer prices! I got the genuine parts heavily discounted and it was still more than I ever spent on repairing a car before by some margin. Better safe than sorry so anyone who's thinking of getting the stronger Q2 diff fitted, don't put it off!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

diff , failure , signs , warning