Twin Spark engine oil question (sorry!) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

Twin Spark engine oil question (sorry!)

I've been running my 1.8 Twin Spark for years now on AGIP fully synthetic oil. For the first 60,000 miles or so it hardly consumed any oil at all but lately seems to be drinking the stuff quite quickly.

I don't suspect there is anything especially wrong, I understand these engines are designed to use oil and I'm happy to keep on top of the oil level in exchange for the super reliable service that this car has given me.

However I remember years ago someone telling me that once you start using fully synthetic oil you should never go back to inferior mineral oils. Is this true? Given the low value of the car and the high cost of synthetic oil I'd quite like to save a few quid and use a cheaper oil if it's going to get used up so quickly.

Any advice / comments / recommendations?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
'Oilman' is probably the person to ask, if no one else knows the answer...
AO Member
County: Tyrone
Ah, the old oil question again..this is how I understand it: I have heard that you shouldn't go back too but my gut feeling is that mineral oils aren't inferior, just different. They are good for running an engine in and will require topping up less but on the down side the service intervals would need to be closer together. The synthetic oils give added protection to components and will help improve economy and performance. My choice would always be a semi-synthetic 10w40 or 10w60. But I'm no expert on the subject so will let others answer your question about going back properly!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , oil , question , spark , twin