Front end dimensional differences between GT and Brera - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

Mito. 3.7 A/D GT

Wave Front end dimensional differences between GT and Brera

Well, it looks like all good intentions from me to leave the Alfa Romeo fold and settle for something cheaper and more family-friendly have gone by the wayside.

I've come across a front-end damaged V6 GT going very cheaply nearby. I have a friend who runs a mechanics/bodyshop who has had a look over the car and assured me that although it looks bad, the vast majority of the damage is panel-only, so it should be a pretty easy fix. Even better, it wasn't an insurance write-off, so no nasty black marks on the log book.

So here's my question for all you knowledgeable people. Given that replacement body panels from the scrapheap for the GT and the Brera/159 are around the same price (there's really very little in it price-wise), how different dimensionally are they? How much modification would be needed to graft the Brera front end onto a GT?

I'm inspired by this photograph I dug up and posted about a couple of years ago (attached). In my opinion, this is the GT facelift that Alfa Romeo should have done but never did. Given the current state of the Fiat Group and their future plans, it doesn't look like there will ever be a replacement for the GT.

Obviously it will take more than just bolting the newer body panels on, but what does everybody think?

Is it even feasible or should I just start looking at 06 Breras instead?

To be honest, if I've done my sums correctly and if my friend gets a bit of free time to spend on this mates-rates job, it would work out cheaper than just buying the equivalent second hand V6 GT...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT-Paris-08.jpg (73.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GT-Paris-08-2.jpg (12.7 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
I reckon you've got a lot of work to blend the two together and in the same breath I hope you prove me wrong!
I'll then bolt on a Brera/159 front end onto my 147! Nice idea but I can't see it being a bolt on solution?
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
The Brera/159 front end is much wider for a start - you would have to do something to the rear arches otherwise it would look a bit silly..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brera , differences , dimensional , end , front