147 engine ecu? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

147 engine ecu?

my 2001 147 kept coming up with an immobilser key fault, i left into dealers and they said it needs a complete new ecu and that they are all linked together in the car so i would need a complete set. I did an engine transplant before i left the car into the alfa dealers, and just realised i stupidly didnt swap the engine ecu over during the transplant as i didnt realise they are all coded together unlike most other cars. Would that produce an immobilser fault?.the dealers said they couldnt understand what was wrong with the car as they couldnt prove it was a faulty ecu they were only second guessing.what you think guys?and why the hell have alfas got so many bloody ecu?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng
Yes and no.
This is correct about the ecus being linked to each other. It's ment to make the car harder to steal.

You need to get the ECU that came with the car into it. Or you can get a "Virgin" Engine ECU. The deal is that a new ecu has never been pluged into a car and is thus "virgin". Once it connects to a body ECU, it incodes that ECU's code into itself and can never be used with another body.

There are guys that can reset a ECU to "virgin" state, but it's not a dealer process. I sugest you talk to a guy on here, by the nick of "AlfaTuner". He helped me sort out my ECU issues.

Keithy says: "I think you put too much sugar on your cornflakes! "
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 24-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

must try the orginal ecu back into the car once i tow it back from the dealers again, thx for the help, hopefully that will sort it out.....
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Mustangs mainly

Do what I did. Find a car almost identical - i.e. same age, model, engine and options if you can - and then switch the engine ecu, body ecu and the insides of the key (transponder and remote locking circuit) and you will get the whole issue resolved for around 100-150 and 20 minutes work.

Trust me, its the cheapest, quickest and easiest way - and quiet likely the best!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , ecu , engine