156 SW Dash Warning - Tailgate open - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
156 SW Dash Warning - Tailgate open

Half way up the M3 this morning, the tailgate open light came on. No increase in wind noise and no knocking to indicate it was open, so carried on the Fleet Services before pulling in to check. From time to time the warning light flickered and dimmed. When this happened, the radio gave out loud bursts of static.

When I stopped, the tailgate was still firmly latched down, but the dash display continued to warn of an open tailgate. When I tried to lock the car, the central locking reopened, as it would if a door or tailgate were ajar.

After a few hefty slams the tailgate light went out and I was able to lock the car, but when I carried on my journey it happened again within a couple of miles. As before, the light was dim initially then came on full, but there was no flickering this time.

It's all pointing to a dodgy earth on the tailgate open/shut contact switch. Only trouble is, I've no idea where that is! There's no obvious microswitches visible. Is it part of the lock assembly? Is it in the hinges? Am I blind, or suffering from getting up at 04:45 to be in central London for an 08:00 start. Any suggestions?

Bringing madness to an Off-road near you.

Alfaless, but mia cuore sportivo keeps beating.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: 156 SW Dash Warning - Tailgate open

My (short) experience of the facelifted 156 SW which is electrically (not wire) operated shows that the tailgate needs some persuasion (slam) to lock but it looks (and sounds) shut every time I close it. In other words it behaves like its locked (firmly closed) but it actually is not and that is why it unlocks when you try to lock it. Imho the contacts must be a little short
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

If it's like other Alfa's I've heard of, there isn't a contact switch for the rear hatch, it's a microswitch attached to the door catch, within the door.
Why they couldn't have just used a puch switch like on every other car door in teh history of motoring (insluding all the other doors on Alfa's) I don't know.

Se this info:
http://www.alfa156.net/fr_index.html?/tech/swboot.html for help about this.

It is not unsual problem.

Regards, Fredrik
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Thumbs Up Re: 156 SW Dash Warning - Tailgate open

Thanks for the link Fredrik - that would make perfect sense as the tailgate was open for a couple of minutes whilst I loaded the car this morning - and it was rather damp!

I will dry the lock mechanism tonight and spray a water repellant in whilst I'm at it.

This ties in rather neatyly with Bazza's comments as well.

Cheers guys

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , dash , open , tailgate , warning