Same Old Selepeed AGAIN (Sorry To Bore People)! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 21-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Help Same Old Selepeed AGAIN (Sorry To Bore People)!

Afternoon

About 3-4 Months ago my selespeed pump went, was getting selespeed System failure and gears stuck in N

Had Selespeed pump replaced by Ital Autos (Chesterfield) which solved the problem.

HOWEVER

A few days ago i walked to the car first thing to find a big puddle of selespeed oil on the drive. (passenger side). Checked the tank and it was empty.

Filled the tank back up with Selespeed oil and took the car for a spin.

Entered the car and can hear the pump prime (big gargley but i guessed maybe because of empty tank)

Car got selespeed system failure but the gears select fine.

Ive been getting this every day now selespeed failure but gears select fine.. the selespeed warning comes up and beeps every 3-4 mins or so!
The prime on entry does sound a little different.. i have not lost any selespeed fluid since.

PLEASE help.. i think once she has been fixed she is going to have to go! I cant afford these running cost

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

It sounds like an accumulator problem to me, but that is just a first guess.

The accumulator is a pressurised sphere, screwed onto the actuator unit, which is available as a FIAT spare part (vessel). Do a search for 'Selespeed vessel' - here's the result: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/searc...archid=4059953

I think it's quite possible that the gas escaped from the sphere slowly over a long period and perhaps the pump failed because of that. Now perhaps it has got to the point where the new pump cannot pressurise the system properly (you mentioned a different-sounding prime) and the overflowing fluid is a symptom too.

Could also be a pressure sensor fault I guess.

Don't give up now... otherwise the next owner will get a bargain and probably no more of this 'running cost'
You should remember that maintenance on an older car is always cheaper than depreciation on a newer car...

-Alex

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 22-05-10 at 00:09.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
bore , people , selepeed , selespeed