buying used 147, anything that I should look out for? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Aberdeen

Member car:

156 1.8

buying used 147, anything that I should look out for?

Well well, after saying goodbye to my 156

I guess I am going for a 147 this time!!!
Saw a beautiful lusso 1.6 TS, but since I never had a 147 before, just wonder if there are any specific things with 147 that I should check when I go and view it?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

147 JTDm 16v

I'm no guru but I recently bought myself a JTDm. Brilliant thing to drive. Are you looking for a TS or a JTD? Not sure what the others drive like, but mine (the multi-jet diesel) is a speedy little thing. I have some issues with my petrol gauge which seems to have a mind of its own, dropping insanely fast sometimes especially around the 1/4 tank mark. Have seen a lot of coverage on this issue on the forums so it seems like a semi-common quirk, most likely just the float. Other than that, well...I just checked the electronics (onboard computer) to ensure they weren't messing about. I guess the only other thing I can advise you on is to check the cambelt.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Mustangs mainly

After doing loads of 156's and having a lot of experience with them, I am currently selling (after fixing the immobiliser issues) a 147 with the 1.6 TS too. I most say I am very impressed. The 1.6 engine seems a little strained in the 156, but in the little 147 it shoots along very happily and drives like a dream.

The other things I prefer in the 147 than a 156 is the following (based on circa 2001 models):

* Built in trip computer with mpg etc (currently says I'm getting 35mpg around town - not bad at all!)
* Boot popper on the key fob
* Digital climate control knobs (the 156 got these from late 02 on)
* Steering wheel radio controls (the 156 got these later too)

Personally I would say the 147 is just as good a car, if not better for around town use.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buying