Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Weird 147 driving behaviour
Well, I was postponing this since the autumn, thinking it would be a stupid thread, but I have to ask you, if you could help me with this.
I get a strange feeling of 147s rear end twisting as I change direction rapidly. I will try to clarify.
- it started in October when I switched to all winter tires. It wasnt that obvious, until few weeks ago.
- when I go into the curve, it holds it brilliantly, but when I switch instantly to opposite one (on a twisty road), car still holds it well, but the rear end feels like it has just twisted a bit. The tires are holdind, no oversteer Im sure, this happens at speeds far lower than any oversteer could occure.
- I tested the car on a straight - rapidly doing zig-zag with the wheel - it feels like the back end is late half a second, so it feels like my car is twisting.
- I recently had that feel even when climbing a sidewalk on sharp angle. As soon as rear wheels touch the curb, the rear end "slips" a bit. Its a weird feeling, I feel it in my seat. Like the wheels are loose in transversal way.
- I went to the mechanic (not proffesional, just local guy doing simple jobs) and the only thing he found (and I knew that) some rubbers on the back suspension were gone, but that was before this started, I am aware of that
-other thing that occured to me is that maybe my shock absorbers are dead and the car is sitting on springs only, so it feels this way
I know that Alfa bodies dont always match the possibilities of the grip, but this is excessive. My mums Brava feels far better than this. Any ideas? Is there something on the rear suspension that might have gone wrong? Any help would be apreciated.
"For a smart man, any war is lost as soon as it starts..."