Airbox Trumpet 156 V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

V6 Sportwagon

Airbox Trumpet 156 V6

Hi all, so I got the item (airbox trumpet) in the pic below from a guy who knows Alfas. He said it fits inside of the V6 airbox. Let's firstly say that it was a mission to get it in there, but once done, the 'boominess' from the induction disappeared and there seemed to be better pickup in the mid-range; it did however starve up near 6000rpm and sounded as if the engine was under more strain than normal.

So I took it out the other day again after some guys who also own V6s say they've never had something like that in the airbox. Does it look familiar, what is it's function? Is my Alfa guy smoking his socks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06052010288.jpg (59.4 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

That's a standard part that comes in the twinspark airbox (which is essentially the same box as the v6 apart from the lid) but is not a standard part in the v6.
It might actually help torque at lower revs as it would probably speed up the airflow a bit. But I'd say it's probably restricting the quantity of air that can pass through the system at higher revs, thus you're starving the engine of air at 6000rpm.
AO Gold Member
not to be used on the V6 !
for TS engines it reduces turbulence in the intake and gives better pick up at lower RPM's
but the V6 sucks more air at a given rpm compared with the TS and thus the venturi limits
air flow for the V6

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , airbox , trumpet