Alfa 147 - Starter Motor Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 30-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 147

Alfa 147 - Starter Motor Problems

Just what I needed before a bank holiday and my car wouldn't start this morning!

Turned the ignition, the dash lights etc light up but nothing from the engine. Had this problem beofre on my old Mk2 Mr2, and it turned out to be the starter motor sticking.

Got back home this evening afte talking to a few lads at work and they said to put the car in 3rd turn the ignition and give the car a good rock backwards and forwards. Seemed to do the job and got the car going.

Just wanted to check if it is the starter motor or could it be something else? Also if it is will it need replacing or can it be cleaned or reconditioned? A little skint at the moment so could do with a cheap option. Also im preety handy under the engine could this be a DIY job if so where is the best place to get a starter motor from and is there a step by step guide on here? (With pictures ha)

Thanks in advance

One fed up Alfa owner

Last edited by sewelly; 30-04-10 at 18:32.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Probably just needs a clean and a bit of oil to free up the solenoid...

Easiest way to get at the starter is to drop the front section of exhaust, and access it from underneath. 3x13mm (I think...they could be 15mm's) bolts hold it in the gearbox, and there's a 13mm nut holding the big cable on, and a 10mm one holding the solenoid wire on.

There's a plastic cap thing over the electrical connections that can be a bit of a pig to get back on in the confined space (especially if you're doing it on your back)!

Any starter from a TS engine would be fine as a replacement. I may have one somewhere...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , motor , problems , starter