insurance - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Originally Posted by zeks1999 View Post
The cost of insurance being loaded dependent on risk factors (age, gender, location etc.) has been around as long as I have been driving, but the actual amount we all have to pay now has increased significantly due to the claims culture that has gripped this country

20 years ago my uncle offered to give me his, borderline MOT pass, beast of a Rover (anyone remember the SD1?). So, as a 17 year old, just passed his test, I went to my local insurance broker (this was pre Merekats/opera singers) for a TPFT quote. £500 was the answer. Now, with inflation, I would suggest that it would still be sub £2k in todays money. Unfortunately, in the last 20 years everyone has been encouraged to make a claim over and above the cost/inconvenience suffered (I'm guessing we have all had the unsolicited phonecall asking "have you had an accident in the last 3 years that wasn't your fault ?"

So next time you meet someone who has made a "whiplash" claim, or had an expensive holiday due to "subsiquent effects" of an accident, remember to thank them for the fact that many young drivers are priced completely out of running a car due to their erroneous claims.

Before I am shot down by a barrage of people who have genuinely been injured/lost earnings etc. I have no issue with genuine compensation, and in fact beleive it is an essential part of the whole process, but the reality is that the majority of claims are made by people for no other reason than the bloke off The Bill told them they could get some free money.
Agreed what these people also don't realise is that these claims often end up in my team and the other teams in the fraud department of my firm, think about it before you make a PI claim unless you want one of my team members investigating the ins and outs of your life and questioning everything about you, happy claiming
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

156 2.4jtd 20v

As I sit and read this nursing a hang over that is the aftermath of a large session on Saturday, I was originally thinking god I wish I was 18 again BUT this has cheered me up no end I only have 2 years no claims due to the wife been a **** driver and a car been stolen and burnt out, 6 points for getting my picture taken by the yellow tax boxes and still only pay £400 fully comp, something to be said for been 36 going grey and a little larger than when I was 18.
BTW my first car was a mk1 golf gti £600 fully comp for the 1st year
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 2.0ts

Originally Posted by steviec View Post
my first car was a mk1 golf gti £600 fully comp for the 1st year
I wouldn't even be able to get that now with my 3 years ncb!
(Post Link) post #54 of 54 Old 26-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

thanks for all the replys guys i am having a look around atm and rining a few but still got a week or so till i have to sort it all out

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT