exterior door handle broke :( - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Thanks pub singer, both sides done no dramas thanks to your thread. Hinges 11 on flea bay (fiat 500) fitted perfect on 2007 GTQ2. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Merseyside
Pubsinger you massive legend!

Just want to add my thanks to Pubsinger on this thread for the detailed and easy to follow instructions. My drivers side door hinge went a couple of weeks ago so I ordered a replacement hinge and bugger me if the passenger one didn't break the day after the hinge arrived
So, I ordered yet another hinge (eBay 11.49 each inc delivery) and I set about on Sunday to fix both. Pubsinger, your instructions were a boon mate; dead easy to follow and straightforward too. I started with the passenger door in case I mucked it up but with such good instructions I needn't have worried. Took about 2.5hrs to do passenger door, and then around 45mins to do the drivers AND I managed not to break the popper from the interior top rear edge of door by gently prising the cover up a bit with a blunt screwdriver and using needle nose pliers to pinch the popper stems together and lift out.
Again, many thanks and I'll keep a pint in the Karma bank for you

County: Northumberland
Alfa GT Door Handle temporary fix

Pulled the drivers door handle off my GT. As a temporary fix which allows the drivers door to be opened normally the following fix has worked well. Form a loop on a Zip tie, poke it through the aperture left by the absent handle, manipulate the loop over the lever which the handle normally operates and pull tight. The lever is towards the rear. The tail of the zip tie can then be pulled to open the door- works a treat.

County: Northumberland
If the handle has detached insert a zip tie into the opening, loop the internal lever, pull tight, the zip tie tail can then be used as a handle.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
This happened when tried to open my driver's side door this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.9 KB, 13 views)
AO Platinum Member

Since then I've collected a Fiat 500 hinge from my local dealer.
Part Number - 51964555.
Cost - 9.68.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Since then I've collected a Fiat 500 hinge from my local dealer.
Part Number - 51964555.
Cost - 9.68.
It'll work as you have the late type handle. Shame it doesn't work on the early 147s & GTs.
AO Platinum Member

Last time I did this job in, March 2012, I bought a complete door handle and took the hinge off it.

After I've replaced the existing broken hinge with the Fiat 500 hinge I’ll get another one and put the complete handle and hinge assembly on eBay.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
It'll work as you have the late type handle. Shame it doesn't work on the early 147s & GTs.
It certainly looks like it will. I'm going to try to replace the broken hinge without removing the door glass.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeb38 View Post
Here are the steps I have taken;

1: Remove door card just be careful when levering it off
2: Pull handle until fully out and using screw driver bit and spanner remove hinge retaining screw from the door . Use your thumb to press screw driver bit into screw head when turning with spanner.
3: With window all the way up use long handled 10mm spanner loosen nut and then undo with fingers
4: Replace hinge on handle and then insert into door
5: Refit nut onto hinge on inside off door. Little bit fiddly but be patient and it will go on. Then tighten with spanner
6: Refit door panel and think about how much you saved
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Alfisti View Post
Couple more points/tips:-

If you find that upon re-screwing the lock side of the handle back in, the handle doesn't self return, slacken off the torx bolt a tad, you will see the handle return.

The handle can be replaced without window removal, but requires a bit more dexterity and removing the rods from the bottom and not the top.
AO Member

County: Western Isles
To make it last a bit longer, be sure to grease the new hinge with aluminium-based grease rather than coppergrease.
Club Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Quote:

Whats the difference Pud , mines a 54 plate (Jan 05) would mine have late or early handles and can you just replace the hinge on early ones .
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
Whats the difference Pud , mines a 54 plate (Jan 05) would mine have late or early handles and can you just replace the hinge on early ones .
Its the angle that the bolt goes through the hinge into the handle. One type goes in perpendicular, the other goes in at a 45 degree angle. 54 plate would be early type, they changed around late 2005 or early 2006 when they changed from solid metal handles to plastic handles. The late ones still look metal but the outer casing is actually plastic, they are a lot less cold to the touch in winter and much lighter.
Club Member

Garage
Schweet I wont get ordering the 500 hinge when mine goes then

Can I just get a hinge or is it the whole handle job
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Just get the hinge. Available on ebay for around 11,got both of mine there . Follow instructions and bobs your uncle
AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T's Dad View Post
I repaired the handle on my daughters GT last week with a piece for the broken hinge which I carved out of solid aluminium with a Dremmel.

Way to go!! My passenger handle broke last year and I bought a s/h one from Autolusso for 45 including postage. I didn't remove the window though...but scraped the **** out of my hands getting round the tight gaps.
I had thought of casting a new hinge but aluminium is quite dangerous to cast with. If you overheat the melt it reacts with water like a thermite reaction, y,know...kaboom!!
Club Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simo View Post
Just get the hinge. Available on ebay for around 11,got both of mine there . Follow instructions and bobs your uncle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Its the angle that the bolt goes through the hinge into the handle. One type goes in perpendicular, the other goes in at a 45 degree angle. 54 plate would be early type, they changed around late 2005 or early 2006 when they changed from solid metal handles to plastic handles. The late ones still look metal but the outer casing is actually plastic, they are a lot less cold to the touch in winter and much lighter.

Just a hinge won't work on mine as its an earlier model with proper metal handles :smug: :raz:
Club Member

Quote:
Just a hinge won't work on mine as its an earlier model with proper metal handles :smug: :raz:
You might be able to find a used hinge from a 147 or early GT though. Or get a complete used handle. Easier to find than the later ones. The later ones seem to be developing a habit of snapping at the other end too!
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
I too have an early model GT (with the metal handle) neither handle has broke yet; but if one were to would it not be possible to modify the new type hinge to make it work on the old type handle?

If it is just the angle of the screw hole that's different couldn't the hole be re-shaped with a file or a dremel or something?

If the hole position is wrong couldn't a new one be drilled in the correct place?

Or is the hinge a different shape entirely?
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
I too have an early model GT (with the metal handle) neither handle has broke yet; but if one were to would it not be possible to modify the new type hinge to make it work on the old type handle?

If it is just the angle of the screw hole that's different couldn't the hole be re-shaped with a file or a dremel or something?

If the hole position is wrong couldn't a new one be drilled in the correct place?

Or is the hinge a different shape entirely?
I'm sure a skilled DIYer could do it with time. At garage hourly rates its not worth us spending time trying to make the wrong part fit on a customers car, the early type hinges are getting more and more readily available these days as more 147s get broken for spares.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Thanks Pud - just what I wanted to hear.

If (or maybe I should say when) one of mine goes I know I'll have the option to send off for one of the cheap and easily available hinges to modify.
Club Member

Garage
Top job , mine are still fine and dandy
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Mines a 2006 GT, I replaced the drivers door handle 5 years ago with one from a breakers off a 147, older than 2006.The handles are both solid metal, and they have the hinge with the 45' screw into the handle, which is the fiat 500 hinge. I done the passenger door last year with the fiat hinge. It's not true then that the new hinge will not fit solid metal handles as they are presumed to be 'old' type with the perpendicular screw. Maybe some of the new handles were plastic. If your hinge is broken you will clearly see if the screw goes in straight or at 45 to the handle. i cant imagine that you could adapt the 45' hinge to the perpendicular handle though, the hinge is a very particular fit to the handle. The 45' screw means you can attach the hinge to the handle using a stubby philips head without having to remove the handles engagement from the door lock (requires removing the door lock mechanism). Once attached to the handle, close the hinge and insert the threaded shaft into the door. Good luck with doing this without removing the glass, its not worth the grief. Removing the glass is a doddle, just a few bolts which are visible when the glass is fully raised through access holes in the inner door frame, then lower the window carrier halfway and pull the glass up and out. Dont turn on the ignition until you've reconnected the window switch from the door card, it can cause an error apparently.
AO Member

Hi All.

Just had the dreaded handle breakage. The metal hinge broke first of all, it got jammed in the cold and i gave it a pull.... my bad.

Then when trying to open the door with just the platsic bt connected, guess what.... yeap, that broke aswell.

Ive read a little on hear about changing the hinge, and see these are available, what about the black plastic thing (shown at other end of the handle in this borrowed pic NOT circled)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa hinge.jpg (78.9 KB, 7 views)
AO Member

County: West Sussex
i fitted the new hinge on the old handle :/ it sits about 2mm proud which annoys me but 99% of people dont notice tbh

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
broke , door , exterior , handle